thistle

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by holly123, May 28, 2008.

1. holly123

holly123 LawnSite Member

Need to know what can be used to treat thistles in flower beds

2. GREEN-UP

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

try fusilade

3. Athletic field

Athletic field LawnSite Member

I had the same problem, just worked on it today. I cut the tops off and put round up down in the stem. I also used a syringe and hypodermic needle and injected the thistles with roundup. The tension within the plant is greater than you might think. I poked a couple of holes in it and tried to squirt the roundup in. No mist doing it that way.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I use a couple of drops of Gly mix on them w/ some spreader/sticker. Works everytime.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

u can paint gly on with brush

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Am I thinking wrong...as I always thought that I used Fusilade for grassy weed control!

7. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

10% roundup, dash of dishsoap. they take longer than other stuff to die, sometimes need 2nd app, but it works.

8. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

No your'e right, fusilade/sethox is for grassy weeds, Lontrel is the real end all to Thistle.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Cover flowers with trash bags--spray--pull the bags off.
    Or...use barbecue tongs. Tie a small sponge to business end of tong, squirt some weed killer on sponge. Grip the weed low and pull the sponge all the way up to the top of the weed, (coating it thoroughly). The top 2 inches of the weed is most important.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I've used the trash bag trick but not the tongs. Good Idea! I don't care what everyone else says about you Riggle, you're all right! :laugh::laugh: