1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

thomas loaders, are they any good???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by swing blade, Nov 14, 2003.

1. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

I was talking to a tractor dealer that had some skidsteers out on his lot. He said they were made by Thomas Loaders. I have not used anything from this manufacturer and i wanted to know if they were any good?

Here is the link to their website.

Swing Blade
  2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Ive run Thomas, Gehl, Bobcat, and Cat loaders before and its really not much difference between them IMO. The only thing i didnt like about the model i ran was the foot pedals that ran the lift and bucket. Being tall it was real uncomfortable. Now i run all joystick controls which i think is much easier and more comfortable when running one for hours at a time.
  3. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We currently own 24 Thomas skid steers and a dozen Bobcats. They are both good, but we lean towards the Thomas from a pricing standpoint as well as the cost of replacement parts.
  4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I own a T95s which is for the tight areas, very strong for its size but I find the hydraulics a little slow. ie lifting and tilting at the same time. I also have a 153S that I use to excavate my larger jobs, such as driveways, patios etc. I also have a forklift attachment for moving pallets of brick etc. Its a great machine, works fast, cheap to operate and very strong for its size. Each machine has just under 800 hrs each and neither one has cost anything other than regular maintenance to date. Knock on wood.

5. swing blade

swing blade LawnSite Member

thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it

Swing Blade
  6. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

I have rented Thomas Skidsteers many times, and they are great. I agree that the footpeddles are hard to use. It is smooth to operate and it doesn't bounce around much. In my opinion, the John Deere is very jumpy, and a little scary at times so i would stay away from it. I am considering purchasing a new Thomas 2002 model for $15000. That is significantly less than any other new skidsteer.