thomas mini skid

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Freedom Lawncare, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Freedom Lawncare

Freedom Lawncare LawnSite Member

I am thinking of getting into more landscaping jobs and have an opportunity to buy a thomas mini skid steer 25gt with bucket, has only 35 hours and used by a close buddy, he wants $11500 cash instead of $18500 plus tax new. Trying to convince myself if its worth it and what jobs I can do with it to make it pay for itself. Also have to convince the wife.

Need help with decision.

Dave

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Thomas might not be the best brand to go with. I am sure the machine is good, but it is possible Thomas might go under in the next couple of years. I think they went bankrupt a while back. Could be hard to get parts and service later on.

There is a dingo tx420 on ebay w/ 106 hours for $11,500. I have also seen low hour machines(boxers, dingos) go on ironplanet for $5k-8k w/ 100-300 hours. I would probably pass on the Thomas, and try to find a Dingo, Boxer, Bobcat, or Ditch Witch.

If you do landscaping at least once a week I would buy one. If you are only doing it once a month... I would just rent. I bought my Dingo TX425 w/ 500 hours for 5k a year ago. I don't know how many times it has paid for itself this year, but it has really done the trick. A week rarely goes by, when it sits in the garage.

3. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Personally I believe the Thomas to be the best of the bunch. Find out how much you can buy a new one for and take it from there. 35 hours is peanuts, but your savings are significant. You need to talk with a thomas rep who can fill you in on what is going on with the co.

4. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at the "Re-visit mini-skid discussion" thread in the Tractor forum? The thread started around 2 years ago (or more) and contains a great discussion and a LOT of information.

5. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

great buy. looking for a track unit myself. will keep the tire unit also.
    don't know much about the thomas but my dingo is the best piece of equipment i have purchased. very valuble piece imo. i've said it before, just wont go with out my dingo.

6. Lawnworks

from usa

Yes they are awesome. I left my guys augering holes on a really steep hill Friday w/ my tx425. I told them not to get sideways on the hill... but of course they did it anyway(thinking they were smarter than the heffe!) Well they flipped it over and on its side in a shallow retention pond. Had to pull it over w/ my truck... and sure enough that sucker fired right up and went back to work w/ no damage.

7. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Thomas no longer makes the mini's . Who knows how accessible their parts are or will be

8. PORTER 05

PORTER 05 LawnSite Senior Member

i dont know, there are tons of 2000/2002 Jonh Deere 240 skid-syeers selling for $10,500 / to about $14,000 with about 1000 HRS on them in heavy equitment trader, id rather spend my $$$ on that

9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

depends on what your doing. my bobcat sits at the shop alot, while my dingo goes everyday with me. i can't use a uni-loader on about 90% of my jobs.

10. Lawnworks

from usa

I guess it all depends on the jobs you do, the dingos have a specific nitch. 90% of our jobs are all be done w/ a dingo as well w/ no turf damage. And he is comparing a wheeled unit to a track unit.... you won't find a good tracked bobcat for under 15-20k.