Thomas Skidsteer opinion

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Johnson LCO, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2003 thomas 153 with a 46 HP diesel engine with 600 hours for $10k. I have never heard of thomas before and this is my first skid so I am asking your opinion. I will be using it to load mulch and dirt into my truck and dump trailer and using a harley rake. Is this a reliable skid steer? Is this a good machine for my intended uses? Does it use the standar bobcat attachments and are they easy to attach and remove? I have not seen a deal on any other skid close to this good so I am a little weary. Thanks in advance.

2. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

that skid will be fine for you. i think bobcat attachments will work on it, but i'm not sure. most are the same

3. Johnson LCO

Does anyone else know about the attachments? Is this a good price or should I offer less?

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The status of Thomas as legitimate company is in question. The one thing about Thomas is most all of the components are off the shelf. Sundstrand is who makes their hydrualic components, Kubota makes their engines. They are probably reliable, I have never owned one. Even when the company was not in bankruptcy, their product did not have any value on the open market.

My suggestion would be to take your ten grand and buy a used 1845C or 1840. The machines will be older than 2003 but you will have something that has value and proven dependability and when it comes time to trade up you will have something that someone else will want. Nobody is going to knock your door down to buy a Thomas no matter how they run. That is not typically a good business decision, unless you plan on running the wheels off of it and then dump it.

5. cat2

from Mi

yea that isn't a very popular brand. the resale vaule isn't going to be good. i would get an older case 1845c or a 753 bobcat.

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

Thomas is the only company who is smart enough to use a open loop hydraulic system, meaning all the oil goes straight to the tank after it comes out of any cylinder or attachment, excavator style, they operate very cool in the summer and they are very quiet, Thomas scores very high in my books for that set up, I wish everyone else would do the same.

7. Johnson LCO

I am not really interested in resale value because I plan on running this into the ground. I may upgrade later but I plan on keeping this for smaller jobs and snow. I just need to know if I should offer less and if it uses the standard attachments that bobcats use. I know that bobcats have a quick attach plate and i was wondering if this would have a similar setup.

8. cat2

from Mi

the price seems fair. it only has 600 hours. talk him down as much as you can

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Here is the difference. If you pay 10K for a Thomas you will not have an option but to run it into the ground. Buy an older Bobcat or CASE and you will not lose anything as these machines are about depreciated out. An 1845C in good shape with 5K hours will bring 10K and next year it will bring the same 10K. Why throw your money away on a machine that has low value with a low hours and will have no value with higher hours, especially if Thomas hits the dirt.. I watched these things go brand new at RB sales when Thomas was marketing their machines through the auction system for 10-12K. If you are set on owning one don't pay one dollar more than absolutely necessary. The fact is you cant get one cheap enough to make it pencil out (except free). The coupler is universal, it'll work on any attachment.

10. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

Generally I compare the Thomas to an older Bobcat, with improvements. The ones I have worked on had a Kubota engine, strong hydraulics a simple, no nonsense controls. If I was going to get a used loader for personal use, the Thomas would be my choice. The loader frame is tougher than Bobcat, and serviceability is easier than other loaders. If you get the price as LOW as possible you can't go wrong. Many rental yards around here used Thomas loaders, and they seem to hold up just fine. Don't fear the big T.

If you know of anyone selling a Thomas cheap, let me know.