Thomas T-320

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it looks like a neat machine with a good waranty. It comes with a 5-year or 5 hour warranty and can be converted back to tires in a few hours. Too bad no dealers close to here. Not saying I would buy one but would seriously consider it. Warranty means allot to me. I know back before Deutz Allis was Agco they offered these unheard of warranty's and really most of there equipment was not all that good. We had good luck out of there small tractors, disk and early combines though. What do you guys think I know Thomas has had some financial problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu4F40DuZPg

2. JDSKIDSTEER

JDSKIDSTEER LawnSite Bronze Member

3. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The warranty on the machine is only as strong as the company that backs it. I believe that Thomas is operating under bankrupcy protection currently. I maybe wrong, but I am fairly certain that is accurate. Should they go under, what little resale they have now will be gone. That is not to say they are not a good machine, but I don't think they have become fully accepted by the North American market. They have struggled to emerge as a player in the market impart due to a poor dealer network, and the fact that it is a tough market to break into. Major manufacturers that started fairly recently such as CAT, Deere and Komatsu have had to work very hard to gain the marketshare that they have and they are full line manufacturers. I think it is next to impossible for a company like Thomas to break into regardless of how good the machine is. Gehl who is not a full line manufacturer and has been building skid steers almost as long as Bobcat and produces a solid machine by nearly all accounts struggles to expand their marketshare. The cards are stacked against Thomas coming out of this IMHO. This is even after they signed a deal with Kubota to market the Thomas machine as a Kubota in some overseas markets. I have watched these machine sell new at auction and fail to bring the same money as used machines from better known manufacturers selling side by side. I think when you buy a Thomas you have to accept the fact that your buying the Rodney Dangerfield of the skid steer market.

4. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I agree Thomas may be a very good machine but they like everyone else is having a tough time gaining share. What the others have going for them that Thomas does not is the name.

5. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i run a thomas only 250 hours on it...but so far so good

...for the $, I think they're a good deal...many people ive talked to said their products are rock solid, but all other aspects of the company are the problem

6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I've ran a thomas. They are a no frills machine for sure, but they get the work done.

Great for rental fleets.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I agree they are good rental machines from the low purchase price standpoint and waranty if you have dealer support and I think any mechanic familiar with hyd. could work on one after the warranty. However rental stores make a good portion of their money on reselling their rental machines. There in lays the problem with a Thomas skid steer. No resale value. The other issue would be with clientel. Renting to homeowners you would be fine. Rent to contractors and they want to rent what they are familiar with and that is not likely to be a Thomas.

8. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

Does Thomas Make The Pro Tuff Skidsteers:confused:? Seen A Few Around.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Yes, they make the ProTough line. (They're actually branded Thomas as well -- it's just more of a value line, as I understand it.)

10. cespservce

cespservce LawnSite Member

I own and run a thomas T35 mini ex and i love the machine, 800 hrs and not a single problem yet.