Those in FL..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Technologies, Feb 5, 2004.

1. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Wondering is anyone in Florida mulches in the summer. Ive never really tried it, might be somthing ill test out this year. Please post your findings on this matter.

2. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Yep, I mulch everything, Even hedge clippings. I found it to be a challange to mulch Bahia at high speeds but no problem with St Augustine.

3. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

How often do you change blades?

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I mulch or throw everything. Have for about 13 years. Depends on what I am doing but I change blades at least twice per day.

5. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I only sharpen them every 2-3 days. But I dont have sand on any accounts(clean thick St Agustine). If I mow Bahaia I need to do it every day.

6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I mulch exclusively. Mostly St. Augustine grass. I start every morning with a set of razor sharp blades and mow 10-12 lawns before changing. I think mulching gives a cleaner looking cut.

7. gator-town

gator-town LawnSite Member
    from bfe

st. augustine yes ... bahia no way ... for weekly mowings, maybe yes (I don't but may offer in the future) but if the grass has not been mowed in a while, now way ....

subjective ... if you want a nice cut and care about the life span of your equipment, more often than you are probably doing ... if cutting st. augustine exclusively then not as much as bahia ... don't you love the feeling of freshly sharpened blades ...:D

8. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

no mulching but also no bagging,,,,,change blades at lunch time!

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I also mulch exclusively and cut mostly Bahia with a few St. Augustine lawns. I deffinately prefer to mow St Augustine over Bahia any day. I also sharpen blades about every day or so depending on the amount of mowing I'm doing at the time.

10. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

TJLC

How is the mowing in your area? Alot of competition, growing economy? Did you check out the jobs offered by the guy from Punta Gorda? I have often thought of buying a small lot in your area or Punta Gorda to come down in the off season like everyone else and was just wondering. Thanks Matt