Those little trash picker-uppers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Nov 22, 2003.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone know where to buy those?It looks like a broom handle with a pointed end.I keep little trash bags on all my mowers but am constantly having to either stop or lean waaaay over to pick up trash and cigarette butts.I'd like to somehow mount one of those things on my mowers but can't find them anywhere.Thanks.

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

We made a couple. Just took a broken broom handle and hammered a nail in the end of it and then cut the head off and sharpened.

3. 4-Leaf

4-Leaf LawnSite Member

The trouble with those is that stuff tends to fall off of them once you stab it. You stab a flattened-plastic soda bottle and it's too heavy to stay on the nail --- or the wind blows the paper off before you can get it to the trash bag.

I use a "reacher" --- sort of looks like the kind you see old ladies use to grab stuff off of high shelves. Has a trigger on the handle that squeezes the "picking" ends together. I keep it on the mower at all times and I can grab the trash without getting off the seat. Works great and it'll pick up a brick. Much better than cleaning up the mess after shredding paper with the mower.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

check with WE Chapps I thuouhgt they carried them

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

We use ours all the time.The little rubber cups let you pick up anything up to 5#, and anything as small as the smallest pebble.We get em direct from EZ Reacher at the Expo in Ky , but Greenline and Gempler's carry them as well.We have yet to wear out a set of rubber cups.www.greenlinedist.com-try here!

6. chines63

chines63 LawnSite Member

Walgreen had the grabbers for 10.00 last summer.

7. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a pair of Unger "Nifty-Nabbers" from a janitorial supply company. Around $20 and well worth it.

8. doublesharp

doublesharp LawnSite Senior Member

Home Depot sells a trash pick up stick for about $20.

9. I have one of those too. It kinda gets me crazy having all that equipment sitting in the driveway while I work with stone age technology.:rolleyes:

I know not to spear one of those soda bottles filled with iced tea colored fluids. And I don't want to hit one with a mower either. That'd be a good reason to have one of those grabbers.:cool:

Dave

10. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I, also, use the ez reach style picker upper. $20 at Home Depot. Alot stronger than the one's you can buy mail order (the kind that fold in half). Put magnetic tape on the top and stick it to the mower. I use a small tarp tie down thingy to help hold it on the front of the mower. Here's a pic of it.

equipment pics 024.jpg