1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Those of you w/commercial accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WildWest, Aug 28, 2006.

1. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys cold call (walk in) and ask who's in charge of the maint., do you phone and ask if they're accepting bids, or do these companies advertise the bids?

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Cold calling works only if the person/property manager needs your services at that moment. Usually, it's best to send a fax as they can read it at their own leisure. They are busy and it's best to deal on their own terms. Multiple faxes are best as well, as some wind up in the garbage. Also, make the fax or mailed flyer easy to read. Managers have tons of things to read, so make it simple and they will read it....!!
  3. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

The commercial accounts that I have been working with have all been associated with the local government. With these I started out asking around to find out what was out there, and then contacted some of them in person. Townships usually put an ad in the paper in the early spring offering the chance to turn in a bid for the contracts they offer. Some of the social services like community action may need to be contacted early in the fall to find out when they will come up for bid.
  4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wear your sunday best (preferably a nice and fresh company shirt) and go in and sell yourself. I have done so many of these that it is now second nature.

Usually, and some may agree that commercial accounts USUALLY come by accident or referral. Either way, when they pay, they sure are nice to have.

My best advice though....Give them 3 prices. The A1 service, the middle pricing and the lowball price. The lowball price being the one that lands the job for you however, they (9 outta 10 times) will upgrade to the middle pricing structure once they sample your work. Just make sure your lowball price is what you need to make a profit then add another $30 per cut and you should do well.
  5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I just mow then get an invoice signed and send it in to be paid. They don't know who's doing what.
  6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

To answer your question, all of the above. We do cold calling, and when mid-late winter rolls around we sometimes out making sales visits when its not snowing. And finally some just call us for bids. It's taken us 4 years to get this far so don't become discouraged if they say no thanks beleive me I've heard that more times then I care to remember.:laugh: