Those of you with dump trailers.......

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by RHayden, Nov 14, 2007.

1. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but for those of you with dump trailers, are you able to off load material into a wheelbarrow(s) or does the rear end of the trailer set so low that it catches or would catch the wheelbarrow before reaching an adequate dump angle?

2. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

No your not able to on mine BriMar low profile. The mulch mule can thou. To bad it cost about $30,000.;)

3. KeystoneLawn&Landscaping

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Just an idea...not sure it would work...but a thought.....if your trailer is too low to get the wheelbarrow under.....what if you pulled the trailer up onto service ramps?....ya may need heavy duty ramps...just a thought??

4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I've been thinking about getting a dump trailer for mulch jobs as well. I've thought quite often how I would actually off-load the mulch.

As I now do with mulch on my heavy-duty landscape trailer, I think you're just going to have to load your wheelbarrow by hand and pitchfork. Face it, if you do indeed find a way to dump the mulch into a wheelbarrow, it's probably going to be more of a mess than a help. Dumping the mulch on site or off-loading it by hand seems the most obvious choices. :)

5. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys for those of you looking at that kind of trailer check out this website!

http://www.innovativetrailers.com.

I actually demoed one of these trailers at the expo a couple weeks ago and I am seriously considering one of these trailers for next year.

6. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

I've considered the dump trailers and 1 of the reasons I have not bought 1 is the reason you're discussing. My alternative that I'm considering is a dump bed insert that has a coal door in the tailgate. That way when you lift the bed, you place the wheelbarrow under the coal door and it dumps right in. The only thing I can not decide is if it's worth hauling around an extra 800 pounds daily for the weight of the insert because with gas prices now, that would hurt gas mileage considerably.

7. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Ours is higher than most (14000gvw) and it still is'nt doable. We use a stakebody dumper for lighter materials anyway because the trailer is over 2 tons before you put anything in it.
    If you can afford both, a small dump truck or dump insert is a good complement to a dump trailer.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

wheelsbarrels??? Thats the thing rusty out behind the storage shed.

My light materials bucket on my dingo fits right under the dump trailer. No problems at all.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

hey, does anyone have any good contacts on the east coast for truck dump bodies? I have a 3500 dually that i would like to put a dump/stake bed on and have trouble finding someone who services this area.

10. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Try Switch N Go I believe thay are located in Pennsylvania. Let me know if you need contact info, I have it somewhere