Those Silly Small Deck Riders !?!?!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fareway Lawncare, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

For Everyone Who Really Really Wants a 34"-36" Mid-Mount Rider...Or Who allready Has Been Suckered into Buying One...

Do you Actually have a Full Slate of Small Lawns ?!?!

Hydro Walk vs. Silly Small 34"-36" Deck Rider on Very Small Gated Lots...

Hydro Walk Benefits

-Hydro Walk...Goes More Places...Hills Ditches..better Stability
    -Hydro Walk...Gets Closer to Landscaped Areas...Less Trimming
    -Hydro Walk...You can Pop the Deck Up if Necessary While Cutting...InValuable.
    -Hydro Walk...You can Walk or Ride
    -Hydro Walk...Lighter....Better Cut...Less Rutting...Can Zero Turn w/out Scuffing More Often than Not instead of Making Silly 3-Point Turns.

Small 34" or 36" Mid-Mount Benefits

-Mabe you can Get Chicks cause they Look Cooler to operate ?!
    -You can Cut Wide open Areas faster...Which you shouldn't be Cutting Anyway w/34" or 36" Decks.

How many 37" Gates actually open Up to a Wide expanse of Lawn w/limited Landscaping ?!

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Hey... if Tim Allen makes one I will buy it!

3. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I have often wondered if there was a significant market for this type of mower. The only benefit so far as I can tell, would be to those who have gated lawns and for some reason or other cannot stand or walk for protracted periods of time. Other than that, seems kind of gimmicky to me.

4. BobwithECLC

BobwithECLC LawnSite Member

If I understand it right those small z's are marketed more towards the high income home owner than they are towards LCO's. Well just my 2 cents.

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

heck yeah! hydros can do all that better than a skinny Z.

and so can the BELTS!

GEO :waving:

6. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I picked up a 1968 Craftsman 6hp 25" rear engine rider yesterday for free, and it's in near perfect condition. The engine isn't scratched, the body is great, and the only thing wrong with it is the tranny is almost bad and the deck guide wheel is shot. Gonna try to get it running tomorrow.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we have a super mini z 44". does it fall into the equation????

here are the reasons i can see for even smaller decks

not having to walk behind it-- higher ground speeds

narrow gates with large back yards.

can pull spreaders, etc.
    shorter so more can fit on trailer.

8. j fisher

j fisher LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed. I have a "commercial" grade 34" ZT. I have a lot of 36" gates that my scag can't get through. I also have two bad knees (one pinned together), and limited use of my left ankle from a nasty break. If i were to walk a half day today behind a walker, I probably would'nt walk at all tommorow. Love my "silly little mower"

9. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

I wouldn't Qualify the 44" or 48" w/the Suddenly Exploding Commercial 34" & 36" Mid-Mount Market. If you Want a 36" Rider that Bad...Buy a Walker or a Stander....Not a Mid-Mount...

This is a Case of The Manufacturer's creating a Market for a Totally Dysfunctional Tool.

There are Much Better Choices.

10. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

We have a Dixie Chopper with a 42" deck that the side of the deck slides off to make it 36" to get into a narrow gate. It only sees a little use. The main reason for it is that we have 5 properties that have these little gates and 2 acres in the back. Why some idot did not put in a bigger gate I will never know.