Those tappin' Kholers

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Heron Cove PM, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM LawnSite Member

Anyone have any idea why these darn Kholer engines tap so much? Every one I have ever run, and I have run a lot of machines, do this. Every once and a while the engine will get a real bad tapping noise in it as if the valves are tapping and getting no oil. Doesn't seem to matter RPM's, speed or terrain, flat or hilly, it will tap like the Dickens for a while and then stop. It happened the other day so bad I thought I was throwing a rod completely through the block.

Any thoughts?

Marshall

2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

what model?? Kohlor has had a problem with their valve train for awhile. I have had lifters come loose and springs to break. You may even have a valve seat coming loose. Does it seem to loose power when it is knocking?

3. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

hydrolic lifters - they have to pump up. this can be very aggravating. contact your dealer kohler has a kit for some units which helps

4. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I installed the kit that Kohler sent me free. It took about 2 or 3 hours and totally solved the tapping noise. Call them. I was impressed with their technical support.