Those that bid public schools

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Mar 22, 2008.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I bid a local school, about 80 acres. I call because paper states board meeting last week wed. nite to select lawn care provider. The superintent tells me he is going with last years guy who is charging the same - $11 / hour for a total of $25,338.50. All this was published. Is the school required to get more bids? I have been told by a few other lco's that a gov't entity like a school in iowa needs 3 bids. Any one know anything about this?

2. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You want to work for less tan $11 per hour? Please tell me i read that wrong? Your concerned about a contract that pays $11 per hour?

3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Meets -

There's probably a cutoff point in regards to the amount of the bid.

The one that I do, it's under $50k, so legally they don't have to bid, only have just cause for the hire.

4. LwnmwrMan22

Meets probably wants to know if it's just a formality, or if there's actually a chance he could land the job.

If there's no chance on landing the job, then why go through the time of placing the bid.

I'm sure Meets isn't looking to compete at $11 per hour. Probably figured that the guy sucks at $11 per hour, therefore the bid process.

But if there's no reason to change, and it's not illegal to not accept bids, then why accept them??

5. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Schools here took bids this year. It dropped from $19 an acre to $12. Now the park system is doing the same thing! I bet some intellegint company will low ball it as well!

6. meets1

Thing is I have bid this out with our equipment, not schools equipment. He is based off a average of 26 mowings, with school equipment (which is 1 front mount kubota 62 deck and a country clipper Z with a 50ish deck) $11 / hour / $25,338.50 = 2303.5 hours / 26 mowings = 88.59 hours / mow.

Thing is the school doesn't figure in cost of running there own equipment, repairs, trimmers, etc. A few disgrunted taxpayers are questioning this out and I just so happened to be a middle person cuz 2 yrs ago i did bid and got smoked by this guy wwith labor only. So there daying the school is rig-bidding (never heard of that b/f) and so forth and wondered if I could put a few numbers together based off my cost of mowing. So that is the question - if it is worth pursueing it or not and I don't want to incure any cost (legal) to find things out. So thanks for any info!

7. LwnmwrMan22

I would send an email to the Department of Labor and Industry, or maybe Iowa's Department of Education, and see if there's a set fee after which they have to bid it out.

I would think that if they guy is using the school's equipment, then technically he would be an employee of the school, because if person A furnishes the equipment and the route (school grounds) then person B cannot be a sub contractor, they are an employee.

You could probably persue it along those lines, see if the person is legal in that respect.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well he has got it better than this guy down here who is using his own equipment!

9. meets1

Hey - thinking I should talk to this guy and say we'll mow the wide open area's with the WAM, pay us the day cuz I think I could get those areas done in a day, and he is still ahead, according to his wage. This guy has no insurance and everything is run thru school. I think I would hire a student, janitoral staff or someone else but i also don't care for this guy.

10. LwnmwrMan22

Ahhhhh.... I get it now.

The school has hired him at a rate of $25k per year to mow the grass... correct??

And there are taxpayers that are upset because they're paying someone $25k per year, plus the funds to run the equipment.....