1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

those that hydroseed????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by rmartin, Jun 22, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

for those of you that hydroseed, after you complete a job will you go back later on to redo the area that the grass dont grow?
  2. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

We do for a price. We cant control the weather, or how the homeowner takes care after we leave. Many times we have finished at noon and a thunderstorm comes by at 6 pm. Our job was done , if it washes out we charge to redo the work. The main reason the grass doesnt grow is because the homeowner doesnt water .
  3. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

If I guarantee it I redoe it. I dont guarantee every lawn I seed. I give the costumers a detailed sheet of instructions for care and I let them know if they dont follow those instructions the guarantee is void. I also do follow up inspections for the first few weeks to make sure they are doing their part. This also helps me spot any potential problems before they become and issue. I also carry a camera to document the progress of the grass. This can come in handy if the owners havent been keeping up with watering because I can take pictures of the dry and often cracked ground. I also caught one person applying weed and feed two weeks after the grass was planted. I had seeded his lawn before and it had mysteriously died. I had reseeded it and was going by to take a few pictures and he was spreading weed and feed on it. Told him then and there his warrenty was void and I wouldnt reseed it again under any circumstances. I suspected the weed killer the first time but of course he denied it. Pictures dont lie! Caught another person last week apping extra fertilizer and not just a little bit either. Another warranty voided. Sent him pictures of the fertilizer piled on the ground. No argument from him. Grass dieing in big spots. I try to accommidate my reasonable costumers, sometimes even if they are the reason for the problems, but I cant fix stupidity.
  4. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I offer a guarantee on every yard we prep / spray. If I do the dirtwork, and use my own topsoil, I will respray any ungrown areas. As the other guys have said, the biggest part of failure is customer negligence. I use only top quality materials and bio stimulants in our slurry, and that makes a difference as well. Preparation is key for any lawn, but not as important for hydroseeding some think, but we prep our yards as if to lay sod..We give each client a brochure with detailed instructions and follow up care for their lawn.We also provide sprinkler, timer, and two and three way manifold rentals to customers as well You'd be surprised at how many people think you spray it and forget it, and a week later, you have grass.It is up to all of us as industry professionals to educate the customers more thoroughly. If you told everyone they would get free resprays, no one would bother to water their lawns. I have never had to respray a yard, either. I did however, over seed part of one the other day that we did 6 weeks ago. It was just a little thin( 1100 sqft) below the garage area, and would have filled in after the next fert. treatment, but I like my lawns to be as flush as possible.
  5. divi

divi LawnSite Member

not usually - but it depends on the client. I tell the client up front that when I drive away from the lot my job is done - if there reseeding that needs to be done it's at their expense. I'll sometimes go and spray a small spot that doesn't grow for a good client if I'm in the area and have leftover in the machine. I do that just for relations - it usually gets me more business and a few referalls - plus you'll always get a few bucks in cash from the client without asking. If it's an entire washout it's at their expense.

It's tricky - you really have to do it on a case by case basis. But make sure you cover yourself by explaining that you don't do resprays up front.
  6. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

like stated above, we will go back on occastion if needed. each scenario is usually different. if we do all the prep work we go back. we wont go back for free if they refuse to water or help it along to grow.