1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Those who have owned both...T242 vs. the old T230

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keith, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

How do they compare? I've always liked the T230's, and had my share of 'em. Are the 242's even in the same league?
  2. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

The one T242 that I have takes forever to warm up almost ten minutes every single time I start it. I am going to bring it into the dealer to take another look at it but he has claimed it is the new emissions and this is what we have to look forward to. Its nice and light and starts right up. Same engine size (I think). Handles like the old 230's but mine is being left behind in the shop by my crew. They grab a 230 and one of the 231 over it. If a lawn takes 15 minutes to mow what good is a weedwhacker that takes 10 minutes to warm up... Ill let you know what they say at the shop I have looked it over and can't find anything wrong with it thought maybe it was the fuel filter in the tank but its clean. Wish it ran better Im interested to see if anyone else is having the same problem.

When it runs and is warm it runs as strong as the 230's always did.
  3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks for that info. Some of my Redmax Strato stuff is cold-natured, but nothing that bad.
  4. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I had the T230's for about 10 years. Bought a 242 and have been happy with it. It is a little cold blooded, maybe 1 minute at most. I just choke it on and off with the trigger at 3/4 throttle a few times and it ready to go.

These are the only two trimmers I have ever used. The 230 needs a new coil I think, so I haven't been able to switch back and forth. I'd buy another 242 when the time comes.
  5. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I have to hold my 242 straight up and down 3/4 choked for at least 5 minutes and its usually longer. If I try to trim while its cold it wont cut grass. Im thinking that maybe it does need service. Thats good to know because I really do like the "fit and feel" of it.
  6. K/B

K/B LawnSite Senior Member

That trimmer has a problem, demand that it be fixed! NO WAY should it take 10 mins to warm up. Every one I've used warms up "normally" (less than a minute). I have run many F222's (basically the same engine as the 242, cheapened up a bit). I've never had one take longer than half a minute to warm up. I love those trimmers.
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

My Tanakas (all of them) need NO time to warm up whatsoever. Even if it's 32 degrees.