1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Those who own a Stihl FS100

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MuleCutter, May 22, 2007.

1. MuleCutter

MuleCutter LawnSite Member

i just bought one yesterday and wanted to know how it is on fuel economy. i was using about a 4 year old redmax that needs an overhaul now (which is why i bought a new trimmer) and i was able to use it for over 2 hours on a tank of gas. i think with the FS100 i'm getting about an hour or just over on a tank. i know that the tank on the FS is about half of what a RM has. anyway... just wanted to know.
  2. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an FS100, but I have an FS110R, which I believe uses the same engine as yours - the 31.4 cc.

It is too soon to tell yet whether the Stihl gets better fuel economy than my RedMax machines. But one thing is for sure, the Stihl doesn't vibrate my hands un-mercilessly, and its engine seems to run far smoother than my RedMax machines.

So far, I am really liking the Stihl 4-Mix engine.

The Picturesque Lawn Company 2007 053.jpg
  3. MuleCutter

yep.... i agree with you there. the engine is the same as the 110R but the only differences are in the build of the machine where they replaced some metal parts with plastic ones to make the unit lighter and i think the angle of the head is a little better too. and you're right about the vibration also. that is one smooth running unit.
  4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I'm not 100% sure about the plastic parts thing, but I do know that the 110 uses a solid shaft so that you can use attachments. The 100RX uses a hollow drive shaft and that contributes to it's light weight.

5. MuleCutter

yep... i forgot to include that. the plastic parts thing is the clutch drum housing and the base of the gearhead.
  6. Just Mow

Just Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

The only things that were changed were the shield and the way it mounts, which took off some extra weight on the low end. The handle was changed which took off weight and it has the hollow shaft. The clutch drum housing is the same.
  7. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Between all of my crews, I own thirteen Stihl FS110R - eight of which have the edgit disc installed.
    Regarding your question about fuel efficiency, I think the 4-Mix engine that Stihl has manufactured is much more fuel efficient than other two cycle motors.
    I am pleased enough with mine that I just ordered four more.
  8. TheLawnBarber

TheLawnBarber LawnSite Senior Member

If you can get ahold of Echo 2-cycle mix get it. I've noticed in my Stihl 4-Mixes the Echo oil is a little more fuel efficent than the Stihl mix, at least to me. But overall I've been impressed with fuel effinency over the 2-cycle units I've run.
  9. MuleCutter

cool.... thanks guys. i tested it out for the first time today on the apartment complex i keep up. this is the account that bothered me most about the fuel efficiency. with 2 complexes left out of 13 i ran out of gas.... 10-15 minutes premature compared to the old redmax that i was using so overall i'm pleased. i'll just have to park at the same spot that i ran out of gas rather than walking AAAALLLLL the way down the street to refill then walk AAAALLLL the way back to finish the job. i recommend this unit to anyone who asks.... i dont know if anyone thinks the front handle is too small or not but i put an edger handle on it to get a higher grip and be able to straighten out my back.... it made a big difference in comfort. you know.... the FC series handle with the cushion at the top.

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

just got my 110 about 2 weeks ago. I was running an older FS80. I was very upset with how quickly it goes through fuel. At a condo complex I take care of, we had to fill up 2 times with the 110 were we could go through the whole job with one tank on the fs80. For a little benifit of the doubt, the it is a new trimmer guy this year which probably had something to do with it. Over all a very nice machine. I just wish it had a bigger fuel tank.

What fuel mix are you running...I have a local dealer that will only put 40:1 mix in all of his 50:1 machines. I converted over to that mix last year and have not had any problems... anyone else do this and what is your thoughts.