1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Those who started as a kid, or are still kids, or don't like kids, or do...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eddie B, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

I've seen several young "kid" members on this site, as well as older teens and adults who started as a kid. I want to say I think its just amazing how many young guys are so motivated to work and make money. Sure many of you guys arent licensed and insured... you're just a kid pushing a mower around the neighborhood for money. Thats exactly how many of us start. At the age of 12 my father showed me how to use his 21" toro mower. Soon after I was handed a trimmer and learned how to use that. By the age of 14, I started cutting the lawn for the old lady across the street for 10 bucks. By the age of 16, I was booming with about 10 customers around the neighborhood. All the cool kids were hanging out, going to the mall and stuff, and I was pushing that mower around the neighborhood. A big part of my life was spent actually talking to these customers, learning about life, getting advice, and that has helped to put me where I am today. I'm only 19 guys... my whole life is ahead of me. I look back at the "cool kids" now, and they're workin at pizza joints and bagging groceries and stuff. I've had these guys actually come to me and say they wished they followed similar steps as I did, and I've been a real roll model to them. Last season I was old enough to start the "real business" and go out there and expand myself. I got the trailer, got the commercial mowers, and I worked at it. In this business, if you do things right, there comes opportunity and growth. I wanted to post this because some of you guys seem to bash the young ones, when we should be encouraging them to work hard at this. I know many of you wish you started at a younger age. Many of you guys quit the 9-5 job to start in this business. Young guys and new guys... you might be a "scrub", but its about money and satisfaction. Am I right? If not, point me in the right direction here guys. Feel free to throw me some stories on how you started also.
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Your story is almost identical to mine. Except a while back I decided to venture into lawn and garden equipment repair/sales after I saw so many people getting into mowing. I still will mow if the location pays well, but usually I turn them down and stick to the repair side. Now being in college, I have to limit my time working on equipment to weekends and breaks and so I couldn't mow any even if they paid some huge amount up front!
  3. AEW

AEW LawnSite Member

Good for you. I am 22 and only last year started to expand my business. I have been mowing since 15 with a story similar to yours. I only wish I started to expand sooner than last year. But I was doing well enough to pay for college etc... I am in my final year of college and almost everything is paid for except one of my new mowers and I love doing what I do. Last year I doubled what I had been previously making...maybe this year I will double that...Either way I am making good money and I have plenty of time to grow my business..plus finish college.
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I didnt start as a kid, but its kind of funny how guys will say you should have insurance, taxes, bla bla bla. Sure its not a bad idea, but a teenage boy can cause alot bigger problems for his parents than damaging something while he is out working and not getting into trouble.
  5. apluslawn

apluslawn LawnSite Member

we all start at the bottom an build our way up :blob3:
  6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i started in business at around 14. a small "retail" business i guess you could call it. it was very profitable with zero overhead
  7. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you I can't wait to go full time. I have noticed some of the people on this site love to bash the new guys to try and get them banned by antagonizing them. I have enclosed a link to show this, I have finished my first season and I am not in debt and I will be around for future seasons
  8. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

I guess "B.S." doesn't cost much and would account for the low overhead. I just wonder how you manage to market it so well! :)
  9. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ummm, Bobby, was that a LEGAL venture there? I also knew kids, well I didn't know them as kids but they told me how they made money in highschool and right after. TONS of money. And I know it was not legal, but I guess it made people happy...

I also started out with a push mower in the neghiborhood. I not only mowed but I would hire out to people going on vacation or that didn't have time to do lawn watering too. I'd move sprinklers and drag hoses every day in the summers. For my mowing "business" My step-dad made a cart that pulled behind my bike that could haul my 21" trimmer, blower, trash bags, and gas. Pretty hard to pedal... Once I bought my first rider (an Ariens YT11) the cart was adapted to pull behind the rider with the grass catcher still on it. I honestly ate, slept, and breathed lawn care. It was all I was ever interested in for some reason.

Oh, for all you that bash young people for not paying taxes and such. As far as I know, as long as you are considered a student, wether it be highschool or college, up to 21 i think, and live with your parents, they claim you as a dependent and in turn you do not have to file taxes. I had also never heard of insurance for mowing, nor had I ever heard of a pesticide applicators license. Nobody had. It wasn't till my senior year when I was working for a local nursery part time that they warned me that I better get licensed and told me how to go about doing it. So I took the tests the next spring and got my insurance and have been "legal" ever since.
  10. Rick Jones

Rick Jones LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

You're kidding right? Who on earth told you this? You pay taxes based on your income. If you make over a certain amount, you are REQUIRED to pay taxes. It doesn't matter if you are a student, a dependent, living in your parent's house, etc., if you are under the age of 65, and have gross income of at least $7950, you MUST file.

In addition, you must file if you had net earnings from self-employment of at least $400. That pretty much includes, ANYONE who does any mowing.

This all comes right out of the 2004 IRS 1040 book in case you are wondering.