those with CTL, do you use a tooth bar/bucket?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turboawd, May 19, 2007.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

i find that with my gehl ctl70, i can cut and dig fine with a smooth bucket. the machine just pushes through anything.
    kinda wish i didnt order a tooth bar.;)

2. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... I have a tooth bar on mind and would NOT be without it. Have replaced the teeth once.

:)

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a bolt on cutting edge on mine that I'm getting ready to flip. After the other side wears down, I'm going to get a Rezloh edge.

4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I second dozerman on the rezloh edge......best of both worlds.......wouldn't consider having a machine without one.

5. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

It may cut through it but it would work allot better with the teeth. To prove my point we will take for example my skid steer. It will cut but you really have to work the machine to get it to cut into the soil. When you put teeth on it, it works like a completley different machine. The only complaint I have is my teeth are the removable type and do not allow the bucket to set completely on the ground. I'm guessing they keep the bucket up a 1.5" to 2". The next time I will get teeth that are welded to the bucket or a type that the teeth and the bucket set flat on the ground.

6. Fieldman12

So what Im getting at is the teeth put less strain on the the hydraulics, motor and so on.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Fieldman, the best way I can explain teeth vs. no teeth is this. Take a hot loaf of bread and try and cut it with a straight edged knife and then cut the bread with a serrated edged knife. The serrated edge cuts through much easier. Same way with a rezloh edge vs. a straight edged bucket.

8. Fieldman12

I know a serrated bucket edge will cut such as the Rezloh edge Dozerman21 talks about. Im talking about just a regular smooth edge.

9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Fieldman12- Even with a bolt on straight cutting edge, you'll notice a big difference over just using the bucket. A sharp cutting edge is important, and I like them to stick out away from the bucket. The edge on my T-300 wasn't much farther out than the bucket. On my Deere, it was several inches longer when it was new.

It's crucial on a dozer to have a sharp cutting edge. The difference is night and day over a dull edge. You'll always tend to "gauge" some on the first few passes when you flip the cutting edge on a dozer. The important thing is to be ready for it so you don't go through the windshield!:laugh:

10. Fieldman12

I had a bucket for a while that had a bolt on cutting edge and I was not impressed and it was almost new. I have often wondered how a dozer was able to cut good and not a skid. I think it has to do with how the cutting edge on a dozer and how it is shaped and relates to the ground. For me teeth or a Rezloh edge is the way to go.