Thought Hustler Problem Was Fixed

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by rabeaux, May 17, 2003.

1. rabeaux

rabeaux LawnSite Member

LAST WEEK BLADES STOPPED TURNING ON MY HUSTLER Z, BROUGHT MOWER TO MY DEALER, AND WAS TOLD ON THIS BOARD
    THAT MY PROBLEM WAS PROBABLY AN AIR GAP ADJUSTMENT, WHICH THATS WHAT THE DEALER THOUGHT ALSO, SO SURE ENOUGH THE GAP WAS WAY OFF FROM WHAT IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE ,MECHANIC ADJUSTED IT AND I THOUGHT IT WAS FIXED. SURE ENOUGH, ONE HOUR RUNNING BLADES STOP TURNING. I THINK I HAVE A LEMON. THIS UNIT IS TWO WEEKS OUT OF WARRANTY AND LISTEN TO HISTORY OF PROBLEMS 1. AT 100 HOURS HAD TO PUT NEW KOLER ENGINE BECAUSE OF OF BAD AIR FILTER DESIGN,
    2.AT TWO HUNDRED HOURS, OIL ALL OVER CARPORT, HAD TO PULL ENGINE AND REPLACE GASKET 3. NOW THIS ,SOUNDS LIKE
    CLUTCH IS BAD. ARE YOU ALL EXPERIECEING THESE KIND OF PROBLEMS ? ARE IS IT JUST ME. IS THERE ANY THING THAT YOU ALL CAN SUGGEST OR SHOULD I JUST GET RID OF THIS THIS MACHINE.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Like I posted in your other thread,

Please contact our service department ASAP on Monday, we will need your model and serial #'s and date of purchase.
    Call 1-800-395-4757 ask for the customer service department.
    Explain your situation to the tech you talk to, we will resolve your problem.

Pj

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

are you going to full throttle before engaging clutch? just wondering...

4. rabeaux

rabeaux LawnSite Member

i did mean to post this in two places. i thought after posting
    in the first,nobody would see because the post was old. i do appolize

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your Hustler. My machines have 400 and 275 hours each without any problems whatsoever.
    Hustler will help you, they are good people.
    Pete

6. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I didn't mean to sound cocky on my post....except for the throttle cable replacement that was under warranty [for the walkbehind] both machines have operated with no problems.
    I pulled into my hustler dealer after a rain, and talked to Ron about my cable binding. He worked me in, even though he was busy. He replaced the cable himself, got me going quick.
    Customer satisfaction.
    I believe Hustler makes an extremely good, durable product.
    Tuff Stuff.
    To be easy on the clutch, engage it at part throttle, then bring it up to speed.

7. rabeaux

rabeaux LawnSite Member

brought mower back in for clutch problem,so happen mecahnic
    had left wire hanging when he did air gap adjustment, and was cut by belt. thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

The problem is the nut and bolt holding the clip that keeps the clutch wires away from the clutch is "more" than a pain in the rear to unbolt and rebolt. I know cause I've done the procedure more than a few times. I'll bet he forgot or (accidently) just didn't take the time the reinstall the keeper. I've made Hustler aware of the problem. The simple solution is for the factory to install the keeper, and instead of putting the wire through the loop, use a tie wrap around the wire and through the loop, cutting just the tie wrap for in/uninstalling "as needed". I've since done this method....... BETTER!!!!!!! For what it's worth, any time the hydro belt needs replacing, the keeper must be removed and reinstalled.
    Pete

9. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

I thought they were guaranteed not to ever leak on the new Super Z's.

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

The hydraulic systems on all Hustler Z's and Super Z's have a lifetime guarantee against leaks.
    The engine has a 2 year warranty.

Later
    Pj