1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thought I had a

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Richard Martin, Jul 12, 2000.

1. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I bought a new Exmark 36 Metro back in March of this year. Recently (within the last 6 weeks) I noticed that the mower was starting to scalp in areas it had never scalped before. So I checked the back tires. They had enough air. Then I switched blades. Still scalping. Today I said "enough is enough" and added a spacer to the front casters and the scalping disappeared (suprise). Then I brought the machine home, removed the extra spacer and put a tape measure to the blades and low and behold, it was a half inch lower than the other machines. Hmmm... I put a straight edge on the deck, it was nice and straight. I checked for broken welds or missing bolts. Everything appeared to be in order. Then I put a tire pressure gauge on the front caster tires. One had 5 pounds and the other one had 15 pounds. Then I filled them up to the factory recommended 25 pounds and checked the blade height and wa-la, I got my half inch back. You're probably wondering "Why didn't this dumb-ass check the front tires as part of weekly maintenance?". Well the tires are filled with sealent from the factory and dummy me thought that they might hold air for a while. I know better now.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for sharing that, I was looking at a Metro yesterday! I didn't think the front castor tires could be inflated. I thought they were tubless. I'm a dummy!
  3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

both of you are dummies... just kidding. Tubeless does not mean they are not inflated with air, it means there is no inter tube.
  4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey thanx i have the same problem with my 36" exmark and i did the same thing, added a spacer and it worked
  5. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Found this old subject and thought I'd use it for a problem I'm experiencing.

Starting yesterday, the front casters on my 36" Exmark Turf Tracer HP are running low on air every couple hours. I carry a foot-pump with me and air 'em up, no problem, but I seem to recall someone else having this problem on the Boards before? Can't find the thread, but is this a common problem and is there a common solution to it?

The mower is only about two months old and I can just take it in for warranty and have the tires replaced (I believe), but there's the downtime and, if this is common, the recurring nightmare of it. If anyone knows how to stop this annoyance, please share! :)

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Been there, done that! The easiest fix, is the one we over look first!
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think that warranty covers tires. Any normal parts that wear are not coverd. Even though the tires are only 2 months old they have no way of knowing you didnt run over something to cause a slow leak.
  8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Evan, that was my thinking too. That just furthers the need to get to the bottom of the problem myself even more, if they're not covered. Airing them twice a day isn't *too* time-consuming, but it is annoying.

Andrews: Please elaborate. If that's my problem, how to diagnose and fix?

WALKERMOW LawnSite Member

hey guys, i know this is going to sound crazy and you may not can do this depending on your tires and how much weight is on the front of your walk behind, but i had problems keeping air in one of my front tires on my wb so one day i was cutting and did not have my hand pump, so i let the air out of my other front tire to finish that yard ...well guys that was last summer , and i still have not aired up the two front tires it did not affect the quality of cut just the height of cut..if nothing else works maybe you can try this.
  10. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Try Green Slime sealant for slow leaks.