Lawn Care Forum banner

Thought I had a

3K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
I bought a new Exmark 36 Metro back in March of this year. Recently (within the last 6 weeks) I noticed that the mower was starting to scalp in areas it had never scalped before. So I checked the back tires. They had enough air. Then I switched blades. Still scalping. Today I said "enough is enough" and added a spacer to the front casters and the scalping disappeared (suprise). Then I brought the machine home, removed the extra spacer and put a tape measure to the blades and low and behold, it was a half inch lower than the other machines. Hmmm... I put a straight edge on the deck, it was nice and straight. I checked for broken welds or missing bolts. Everything appeared to be in order. Then I put a tire pressure gauge on the front caster tires. One had 5 pounds and the other one had 15 pounds. Then I filled them up to the factory recommended 25 pounds and checked the blade height and wa-la, I got my half inch back. You're probably wondering "Why didn't this dumb-ass check the front tires as part of weekly maintenance?". Well the tires are filled with sealent from the factory and dummy me thought that they might hold air for a while. I know better now.

#5 ·
Found this old subject and thought I'd use it for a problem I'm experiencing.

Starting yesterday, the front casters on my 36" Exmark Turf Tracer HP are running low on air every couple hours. I carry a foot-pump with me and air 'em up, no problem, but I seem to recall someone else having this problem on the Boards before? Can't find the thread, but is this a common problem and is there a common solution to it?

The mower is only about two months old and I can just take it in for warranty and have the tires replaced (I believe), but there's the downtime and, if this is common, the recurring nightmare of it. If anyone knows how to stop this annoyance, please share! :)

-TGC

#8 ·
Evan, that was my thinking too. That just furthers the need to get to the bottom of the problem myself even more, if they're not covered. Airing them twice a day isn't *too* time-consuming, but it is annoying.

Andrews: Please elaborate. If that's my problem, how to diagnose and fix?

Thanks!

-TGC

#9 ·
hey guys, i know this is going to sound crazy and you may not can do this depending on your tires and how much weight is on the front of your walk behind, but i had problems keeping air in one of my front tires on my wb so one day i was cutting and did not have my hand pump, so i let the air out of my other front tire to finish that yard ...well guys that was last summer , and i still have not aired up the two front tires it did not affect the quality of cut just the height of cut..if nothing else works maybe you can try this.

#13 ·
Once again, the 100% solution is SuperFlex SoftFill flat proofing. No air left in tire to go flat, no slow leaks. Accurate tire pressure for a lifetime.
Also, soon to be marketed, LandShark Tires. Flat proofed 9x350x4 and 13x500x6 front caster/wheel assemblies first to be introduced for walkbehind and riding mowers.

#16 ·
This is the reply that i got back from EXMARK! It is worth reading. I am suprised at the speed that they replied and the depth that they answered. This is one of the many reasons i love this company.

"Landon,

Thank you for contacting us. There are multiple issues that can cause
flats on front caster tires. First let me say that we are looking at
this issue.

The two most prevalent are punctures and "bead leaks". Bead leaks many
are far more likely to occur on a small tire such as those used on a
walk behind than are on larger tire. Both puncture leaks and bead leaks
can drastically be reduced but not eliminated by using a good grade of
sealant. We currently use a product called Amerseal in our walk behind
tires from the factory and there are other brands that work well.
Generally your dealer will have a product that he/she has had good luck
with and available for sale. Again the sealants will reduce but not
eliminate the leaks.

Another option is having tubes but in the tires. Again this will help
but not totally eliminate flat tires but it will out perform the
sealants and can usually be performed by a local tire supplier.

If the majority of your flat tires occur due to punctures then you may
also want to consider a ribbed tire. The ribs help keep the
thorns/stickers etc farther way from the main carcass of the tire
preventing may of the thorns from puncturing it.

The last solution and LEAST recommended is solid filled tires. Solid
filled tires can cause strange things to happen that you would not
normally see occur in any mower. The tires are the only suspension of
the mower and thus the only point where the impacts caused as the mower
moves across the lawn are absorbed. When you solid fill tires all those
impacts both large and small are then now transferred to the mower. In
may reasons this is not a big deal but in others it can be a very real
issue.

The last item I would like to touch on is the tires themselves. We are
currently testing several new tires that my or may not help with the
flats and may or may not create other issues. What I can tell you is
that tires are at or near the top of our priority list of items to look
at and testing is currently under way. We don't have all the answers
yet but we hope that we will have a tire that will meat you needs in the
very near future.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance or
if you have any further questions or comments at 800-667-5296 or
terry.eckert@exmark.com

Thank you

Terry "

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.