1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thought I was Bobby Gedd today

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Precision, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I was at a clients house on Thursday. She is concerned about a sycamore tree that is near her house. With 3 Hurricanes I can understand her concern.

After I finish mowing she tells me she wants it taken down. I say, let me take a look at it and what do you want done with the debris, add it to the hurricane pile or haul it off.

She says just do it and bill me.

BIG red flag. No, Let me look and give you a quote.

Second bad sign. "Does hauling it cost extra?"

I look at the tree. 12 inch diameter, kinda spindly, but over 40 ft tall.

I quote her $100 to drop and chop the tree and drag it down to the curb and clean up the mess.

Dead silence. "Oh no. I have a guy that does that and charges by the hour. NO Way he will charge that.

yes ma'am, that is why I always give an estimate.

She just stumps off. SO GLAD I didn't just do it.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You have a client thats to cheap to pay $100 dollars to have a tree removed that might damage her house? what a cheap azz pita and you lost a $100 bill over it. You will be replaced as soon as she finds someone cheaper to do her lawn.

3. Precision

Thankfully I didn't do the work. Yeah she is a cheap old lady. But sometimes she is great and sometimes Pita from hell. I am not worried about her finding cheaper help. I upcharged her $25 per month over her last guy but he did horrible work. She had 5 guys this year before me. So she now understands she gets what she pays for on maintenance. Just thinks tree work is no big deal I guess.

Hope she doesn't learn the hard way that dropping a tree and not hitting the house isn't always that easy.
  4. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds to me like she is lucky you only said $100 to do the job.
  5. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby would have just done the job charged $200.00 and if she opened her mouth about it he would have stuck his tongue out at her and took her to court if need be. :cool2:
  6. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

That sounds like AT LEAST a $300 job to me !

Drop, cut-up, take it to the street and clean up for $100? WOW !
  7. Precision

yeah well she is old, pays on time and like I said the tree is kinda spindly. I was feeling generous. What can I say. Maybe it was the eye drops from getting the splinter of metal drilled YES DRILLED out of my eye that morning.

And yes some of these people we call clients are CHEAP.
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

3 bills? Helllooo...that is the least I would charge. Period
  9. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Ouch, wached mt Dad get that done before.

Thurs i sharpened blades, got a little close and felt a burn on my forhead, but thought nothing of it. So this morning rolls around and i see lots of black dots in/on my head. Turns out I had 15 peices of steel stuck in my head, I had to dig out.