1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thought I was done with "first Mows for the years"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhardin53, Oct 26, 2011.

1. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

But no, this mess was no fun. Very dry, very windy, but thick. After experiencing a combine fire and having a neighbor of a friend burn up their mower. I wonder how many Carrie a fire extinguisher? I think I will start..

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Funn funn.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Bet the deck belt is 2" longer after that mess.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. looks like a batwing job.
  5. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

ah it's not that bad...i've done twice as tall before lol....if the ground is smooth go over it twice...once with the deck all the way up and then again at the height you want to cut it...if it's bumpy ground just go slow and cut it the height you want it to be...it's not gonna look perfect regardless what you do lol.
  6. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

3 1/2 acer very rough, tall weed. But most of the tall stuff had dried up and cut fine but it was very windy day. The last rain around here kind of perked up some of the base.
    Because it is so rough to took me a lot longer. I have acess to a bat wing but it is about 20 min form me so I opted to give it a try with the old DC. I am happy how it turned out. Wish I could burn off all the dead grass/weeds.

I mowed this several years ago in fact I was looking for a compact tractor to help get this smoothed out. The client did not pay me so I stopped mowing it. I now have been payed up and have a agreement to mow twice a month for next year. I did get a subcompact tractor now I need a box scraper to knock off the high spots and then aerator it and then roll in the spring, I hope to get this to a 1 hour job.

(I was at Disney World when I got this call on my cell that the bank wanted to settle with me and get me back to mowing it)
  7. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, that is harder on ztrs than you think. this job realy needs the tractor
  8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i had one similar earlier this year...it took me like 1 1/2 hrs to do it....it was an empty lot where apartments used to be and they tore them down after they were damaged by tornadoes....bumpy lot for sure lol....i cut it really high the first time like 4" and spend an hour or so going around picking up bricks, rocks, rebar, etc....finally got the place cleaned up and halfway decent....but it's still a pain....so i dropped it...if it was smooth it would be worth it cuz you could just fly through it in about 45min or less...but it was so bumpy you had to go really slow and they only wanted it cut like once a month so i just passed on it after 3-4 cuts.
  9. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

i carry one in my truck.....DOT rules and its just smart. I used one on a ladies car fire one day. I drove by saw the hood up and engine on fire made a uturn and put it out. Funny thing is the lady said fire department is one the way,,,,,there building is literally 2 away...had it out and back in truck by the time the engine rolled up.
  10. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Those properties never are worth it to me, they just seem to destroy a mower quicker than anything. I used to do a smaller entrance to a neighborhood, it had a berm the entire length of the entrance. It was a rough property and mostly weeds, the neighborhood wanted it cut on an "as needed" basis. So they would give me a call about every 6 weeks to get me to mow (they wanted it bagged as well) and cut down from about 10" to 2.5". Let me just share, I no longer do that property.

As for the fire extinguisher, I actually don't carry one anymore. I really should carry one on the trailer and in the truck. I've been thinking about mounting one on each of the mowers, that way in case there is a fire I don't have to run all the way back to the truck to put it out.