1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thought you might be interested in a new meter I am trying out

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by 1idejim, Nov 17, 2013.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Many years ago I took a CLT2 TDR and began experimenting with it in the irrigation field. The TDR has served me well so I'm always on the lookout for a new and improved product.

This picture shows the length to an open in a wire path.

Short to earth measurement

Sweet user friendly display

This is the coolest thing I've used in a while.

Btw. This can be used hot to record an event, which might help in diagnosing some problematic jobs that get worse as the system runs. Like dimming lights etc.

Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Very nice! I'll have to get one of those, could be very helpful on the service side for sure as long as you know where all the wire paths are running. On an unknown system I will still have to resort to the tone of the cable locator.
  3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Actually a TDR is much like having two hands, you can get by with one hand but with two hands you can do much more.

TDRs limit the area of search or question but will not replace a locator. I have found them to be a very good addition toy locating equipment.

I've got a couple of TDRs, a SSTDR and I'm demoing the power prowler. So far it's been pretty much right on and that counts a bunch when you're digging 18 to 36 in deep.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Irrigation Contractor

Irrigation Contractor LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, how does it compare to the SnapShot?
  5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

Like going from a flip phone to an iphone. The LCD screen is cool, easy to read and well lit for low light conditions. Having a combined ac/dc volt meter, ohm meter and TDR is handy as a shirt pocket. Most times I use the clips on my ground lead and touch the red lead in volts and resistance, put the other clip on for TDR measurements. Makes an analysis go fairly quick.

I'll get some pics pretty soon.

Happy new year
    Posted via Mobile Device