Thoughts about Lesco Mowers?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TGK, Oct 23, 2006.

1. TGK

TGK LawnSite Member

Hi, everybody, I am new to the business. Anyway this season I bought a Scag 48`` ride on figuring I could knock out lawns with ease. Well big mistake! I tore up grass. I read on the scag website all about Z turns and executed them perfectly in no time, but still tearing. I have to solve this problem, because I have some unhappy customers.
    Im thinking of purchasing the Lesco walkbehind, or another brand of relatively inexpensive walk behind.

Does anyone have any experience with Lesco? Like them hate them? Also what other brand can be suggested?

Thanks

Chris

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Lescos walkbehinds are very good units, I have used them many times and my only gripe was the handlebars seem bent down too much, If I bought one I would heat up the tubing and bent the grips up a inch or two higher.

If you learn how to use a ZTR you would not have tears in the yard, and let me tell you, a walkbehind can tear grass just as easy.

3. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Lesco w/b's are great. thats all i will ever run.... and im sure Envy will come along to give you his opinion on the ZTR's..... hopefully i can tell you all about them soon too..

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco Walkbehinds - the fixed deck ones, not the floating deck ones - are top notch machines, on the same level as any of the other brands, possibly even better than some due to nice touches such as a donaldson aircleaner standard on most walkbehinds...

Their ZTR's are OKAY, and I know some here like them. They do not seem to be on the same level as other brand ZTR's or lescos walkbehinds. Eitherway, don't let Lescos rep with their ZTR's turn you off from their walkbehinds. Alot of times Lesco has their walkbehinds on sale, and sometimes priced a grand or more below other simular machines from Exmark, Toro, Scag, etc....

5. weathervane

weathervane LawnSite Member
    from mass

hey i have 2 jd for sale in mass for cheap money if you are interested email me and we can talk. thanks rm93svt@yahoo.com

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Learn to be a operater on ope and you will not tear up the turf,walkbehinds tear up the turf just as easy.

7. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

have you tried making a 3pt turn just because its a ztr doesn't mean you have to make a zero turn. make your first turn 1/3. back up 1/3 . going forward the rest of the 1/3. you can tell them they need to be detatched and areator. their grass has shallow roots. I have not seen your lawns but you can post some pic to help

8. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What brands of mowers do your local dealers sell? Out of all of them, which dealer/ brand of mower do you prefer over the others. Price is a factor but dont forget about parts and service as you will need them sooner or later! JMO

9. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

What kind of walkbehiinds? Belt or Hydro. Fixed of Floating Deck?

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know much about the Lesco fixed deck w/b's ( only used one 1 time) but I do know a little about the Lesco float deck w/b because I own one. It has about 25-30 hrs. on it now. Personally, it's an OK machine for the money. I think they could have had a much better machine and still kept the cost lower, IMHO. From what I'm hearing now, the float deck w/b has been discontinued. Not too surprising. They just fell a little short on this one, IMHO. My other w/b is a Turf Tracer hp and has been a very good machine. The reason I bought the Lesco float was to save money(probally a mistake on my part). Lesco float deck 48" $3500.00, Exmark Turf Tracer hp 48" $ 6500.00 from my dealer. Good luck and try to demo as much as you can before you buy. As far as tearing turf, I don't have too much problem with that, I just slow down and do 3 point turns.