Lawn Care Forum banner

Thoughts and Tips on Dissolving 46-0-0 Urea

51K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Ric 
#1 ·
I Have 4- 50lb Bags of 46-0-0 urea left from last fall thought I'd try dissolving it an spraying it as a liquid on my shop an home lawn to see what the results would be! Heres my questions the tank that will be holding this product is a 550 gal tank pulling from bottom of tank 1- what's the best way to dissolve and mix? 2-what is the proper water to 46-0-0 urea ratio? 3- after being dissolved how much aggitation will it need, to be before mixed with water and herbicide? 4- any other thoughts or ideas of products to dissolve? my thoughts where potash, and possibly mixing liquid iron in there as well! THOUGHTS IDEAS Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
For urea applied to a non irrigated lawn, I like 10 or more gallons of water per pound of urea. You can add soluble iron at label rates, up to 1/2 pound of potash and your common herbicides that permit mixing with liquid fertilizers. Sprayed urea greens grass up fast and fades in 21-30 days. It is not something that can be expected to last all season and it should not be double dosed in hopes of getting more life out of it. It should be applied lightly and often. What kind of grass is this going on? Cool season grasses should not be getting a lot of nitrogen in the summer. The time to feed is in the fall.

#3 ·
So you're going to dissolve the slow-release prills to have all of the urea in solution right now??? It would be interestting to see how quickly that concentration(46%) will volatize from the tank... the greater the smell ,,, the more that's volatizing... maybe none...
Let us know the outcome of the experiment... sounds like you're going for quick greenup too,,, but greendoctor was right about not fertilizing too early in the Spring... :)

#5 ·
For urea applied to a non irrigated lawn, I like 10 or more gallons of water per pound of urea. You can add soluble iron at label rates, up to 1/2 pound of potash and your common herbicides that permit mixing with liquid fertilizers. Sprayed urea greens grass up fast and fades in 21-30 days. It is not something that can be expected to last all season and it should not be double dosed in hopes of getting more life out of it. It should be applied lightly and often. What kind of grass is this going on? Cool season grasses should not be getting a lot of nitrogen in the summer. The time to feed is in the fall.
This is going on cool season grasses!
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
I used to use about 50 pounds of urea per 80 gallons of water--however I sprayed at 2.6 gallons of solution per 1000 sqft. In warm weather high concentrations of urea can burn the grass.
Add the urea, add the water and then stir with a canoe paddle. (Or a shovel). Do not start the pump as the filter will be immediately clogged. Best to wait overnight to be sure the urea is completly dissolved. Be ready to clean the filter if needed. Once dissoved, add the herbicide and you need only minor agitation to keep the herbicide in suspension. Iron can stain--could end up with a brown tank.

#10 ·
I mix UFLEXX or UMAXX all the time with 21-0-0. If you mix the UFLEXX with urea you will be reducing the amount of time the nitrogen will remain stabilized. Just go buy a box of Hydrexx which is used to make the UFLEXX products.
Posted via Mobile Device

#13 ·
I mix UFLEXX or UMAXX all the time with 21-0-0. If you mix the UFLEXX with urea you will be reducing the amount of time the nitrogen will remain stabilized. Just go buy a box of Hydrexx which is used to make the UFLEXX products.
Posted via Mobile Device
Were would I be able to buy this at Hydrexx? John Deere Landscapes? AAT?
Posted via Mobile Device

#16 ·
I use spray 2 gallons a minute, and cover 1000 sq ft in 30 seconds. I am filling 150 gallons with 100 pounds urea that I melt in the netting of my tank while it is agitating and also add 1.5 gallons of 28-0-0 slow release coron to the tank. From my own lawn, fescue, I have seen ridiculous growth. My customers lawns which are mainly bermuda, I haven't seen anything worth writing home about. We are about 80% out of dormancy here in Atlanta. It usually takes me a good ten minutes to melt down a 50 pound bag of urea. I use the spray gun to evenly melt it down.

#18 ·
I use spray 2 gallons a minute, and cover 1000 sq ft in 30 seconds. I am filling 150 gallons with 100 pounds urea that I melt in the netting of my tank while it is agitating and also add 1.5 gallons of 28-0-0 slow release coron to the tank. From my own lawn, fescue, I have seen ridiculous growth. My customers lawns which are mainly bermuda, I haven't seen anything worth writing home about. We are about 80% out of dormancy here in Atlanta. It usually takes me a good ten minutes to melt down a 50 pound bag of urea. I use the spray gun to evenly melt it down.
When you say netting, are you talking about a net/mesh bag that fits inside the lip of the lid on your tank? If so, any idea where I can get one? I've been trying to find one, but no luck.

#20 ·
Spraytek, check "Gregson-Clark Spraying equipment"

They have those netting bags.
Thanks! I just ordered one the other day. I have a basket on my Toro rig, but it wasn't big enough to fit a 50# bag. Not to mention splashing everywhere while melting. I'm going to have to rig something up so it can use the strainer with my other rigs since all of them have different sized lids.

#21 ·
I am currently putting 300 lbs of urea into a 400 gal tank. I think there is a myth about slow release nitrogen once it is the solution. I use a feed grade 46-0-0 and uflex, had the uflex left over is the only reason that I am currently using it. Mix at a rate of 200 urea and 100 uflex per batch. Spray at 1.5gpm or a rate of 62 gal/acre. Will see some nitrogen burn in hot weather so adjust rate according to the temp.

#22 ·
I agree with Green Doctor on using a high volume of carrier when applying urea fertilizer. Because all my yards are irrigated I do cut my rate to 5 gallon per thousands. The more carrier the more for giving a spray is. You get no stripping etc with higher volumes.

Recently trying to force grow I mixed 50 LB of 46-0-0 urea in a 50 gallon skid I have on a trailer for mixing special jobs. At 3 gallon per thousand I sprayed a 7 K common Bermuda lawn in the rain to try and Kick it. That was 1.5 lbs of N per thousand and a lot of rain. The leave tips turned brown giving a brown hue to the lawn until it was mowed. Now the common Bermuda needs mowed twice a week, but it is sending out runners and filling in nicely. BTW This application was in addition to my standard Fert Program. BTW I also mixed in 0.10 oz per thousand of Roundup as a Growth Regulator to get more lateral growth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.