1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts and Tips on Dissolving 46-0-0 Urea

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by mr.lawn works, Apr 11, 2013.

1. greenlawnpro

greenlawnpro LawnSite Member

I am currently putting 300 lbs of urea into a 400 gal tank. I think there is a myth about slow release nitrogen once it is the solution. I use a feed grade 46-0-0 and uflex, had the uflex left over is the only reason that I am currently using it. Mix at a rate of 200 urea and 100 uflex per batch. Spray at 1.5gpm or a rate of 62 gal/acre. Will see some nitrogen burn in hot weather so adjust rate according to the temp.
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Green Doctor on using a high volume of carrier when applying urea fertilizer. Because all my yards are irrigated I do cut my rate to 5 gallon per thousands. The more carrier the more for giving a spray is. You get no stripping etc with higher volumes.

Recently trying to force grow I mixed 50 LB of 46-0-0 urea in a 50 gallon skid I have on a trailer for mixing special jobs. At 3 gallon per thousand I sprayed a 7 K common Bermuda lawn in the rain to try and Kick it. That was 1.5 lbs of N per thousand and a lot of rain. The leave tips turned brown giving a brown hue to the lawn until it was mowed. Now the common Bermuda needs mowed twice a week, but it is sending out runners and filling in nicely. BTW This application was in addition to my standard Fert Program. BTW I also mixed in 0.10 oz per thousand of Roundup as a Growth Regulator to get more lateral growth.