Thoughts on 01 chevy 3500 with mason dump

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rsails, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

Let me know your thoughts about the engine and price

2001 Chevy 3500 dually 4X4 with Mason dump - never plowed
    68k miles -
    6.6 Duramax Diesel

all injectors and pump recently replaced under warranty

Truck is very clean

$18,500

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

01 was the first yr for the D/A, IIRC. Injectors were a problem with them. Sounds like a nice rig. Think 18K is a little steep. Id wheel and deal on the price.:usflag:

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Price sounds a tad bit high. Will the truck give you enough payload capacity?

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

That has to be the first version of the duramax.

As for the price I can't say untill you have some pictures. I would say that is inline what we would pay here in B.C. .

A 1 ton dump doesn't have much "legal" paylod capacity at max probably 3000lbs. Truck would probably carry 5000-6000lbs but not legal of course.

5. Rsails

Rsails LawnSite Member
    from NY

I was thinking of welding a couple of board pockets so that I could get 3 -4 yards on dry mulch in the truck. probably will hold 1 1/2 yards of top soil

6. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

Duramax headgaskets would go before 120-150k, keep that in mind. They always blow, just unknown when. They were updated for '02, part of the reason I got my truck.

7. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

Always go with a 450/4500 or 550/5500... You can't put anything in a 350 dump.

8. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

This is SOLID advice. If you're going so far as to purchase the truck, go the extra mile for the bigger one.

9. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Volume wise, you should be fine. A yard of mulch weighs aprox 1000lbs. I think you'd be pretty hard pressed in fitting 4000lbs for payload in a one ton dump.

10. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

It all depends on what you want to use the truck for. Chevys usually carry a load pretty well.

The big problem with Chevy is they don't offer a 1.5-2 ton truck with a P/U body like Ford and now Dodge. Nobody wants a truck with a huge cab on it like the 4500-5500. How are you supposed to use that for a daily driver/work truck.

Yes I too recommend going with a heavier truck a 1 ton doesn't have any payload. I won't go back to a 1 ton truck I went to 1.5 ton trucks well over 10 years ago. The 1 ton trucks I had were in the 80s where you put 6000lbs on the truck and it was sucking a hind --- to now with my 03 F-450 put 6000lbs on it makes the truck ride like a caddilac :laugh:

I have run 1 tons overload and won't do that anymore there is way too many people on the road that don't pay attention. Either they are talking on their cellphone or using a blackberry while driving or just not paying attention.

You run a 1 ton overloaded the brakes are maxed out and the older trucks with 16 inch rubber is maxed out.

The E-350 Cuttaway van with a cube on it is one worst offenders I see so many of those vans used by tradesmen so heavy the truck is grossing 15,000lbs. The GM equivlant is the same.