Thoughts on a '99 F550 Dump?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mow king, Apr 23, 2012.

1. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

1999 Ford f550 4x4 dump. 7.3 powerstroke with a auto tranny (rebuilt 2000 miles ago). 91k original miles.

Issues: Rusty cab, front end clunks, starts via a flip switch because computer is bad.

Includes a 10' Western Plow.

Truck runs down the road okay, doesn't smoke and stops okay.

They're asking $6500.

How bad would this rust be to repair? These pics are of the drivers side. Passenger side is pretty solid except for cab corner.

I need a truck for about 4000 miles a year to haul debris and tow a bobcat.

2. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

a new-used door and a rocker panel are not too expensive ,doing it yourself might cost a few hundred,much more at a body shop .I would get a very close look at the rest of the body and fuel lines looking for rot before purchasing something like that .
  3. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like its been rode hard and put up wet a few to many times for me price is not to bad but is it worth it to get it looking good.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Check the oil pan. There known to rot. Most shops pull the motor to replace the pan= lot a $$$. Some guys have cut the cross member out, change the pan, then fish plate the cross member back in. If your only puttin 4k a yr on it, it might be a good rig 4 ya...Id try to knock em down a grand or so...
  5. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

Agreed. it looks to be pretty beat up and rusty. For the price it is worth looking at it into more depth. I would almost have a mechanic look at it and see what are the key issues to it and what it would to cost to fix it. Maybe it might be worth it to put a few thousand into to make sure it will last longer. How long do you plan on keeping it for?
  6. cutbetterthanyou

cutbetterthanyou LawnSite Bronze Member

Do what you please, but i grew up in a auto body shop and i can tell you one thing rust ALWAYS comes back. Like said before if its something you arent going to use much maybe,but i wouldnt buy it if you entend on fixing it up.
  7. Looking Good Lawn Service

Looking Good Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

Its a cheap truck, but that thing is worth one years payments on a brand new truck of the same today...however to not get off topic, I have never seen a superduty cab or chassis that rotted...ever, they must have parked that truck in a salt bin, that being said, if a door is that rusty I dont want to see what is not obvious and easy to clean off, stay away, no wait run, run away...cheetah speed!
  8. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If the door panel looks that bad i'd hate to look under the truck!
  9. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Did you look underneath at all? I'd be most concerned with that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ive seen many rotted out ford 1 tons.. Maybe NY salt is stronger:laugh: