thoughts on a homemade trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AielLandscaping, Jun 27, 2002.

1. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

i just bought a homemade 4x8 trailer off a customer of mine, it looks like hell but i only paid 150 for it so i'm happy anyhow... i asked him if he knew how much weight the axle could.. he didn't know, just said that it came off a 1/4 ton truck... so here's the million dollar question can that sort of axle handle a stander? that would be the only thing i want to put on the trailer at any given time... in the future i'm going to buy a better trailer but i've only got so much money and trailer won't make cash like a mower will..
  2. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

If I had to guess, I would imagine it is a 2000 lb axel. Depending on the floor, it is probably about a 1500 lb GVWR, giving you about 1000 lb capacity.
  3. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

Shouls easily be able to hold a standewr but i have never heard of a 1/4 ton truck.
  4. yardboyltd

yardboyltd LawnSite Senior Member

the jeeps were 1/4 ton. I hope you mean 1/2 ton... I once had to use a small ford ranger (1/4 ton?) in an emergency to pull my trailer, it wasn't even funny...plenty of power and braking, but it just wasnt sprug for heavy loading. I even had it on a Class III hitch, but the rear was about 7" from the ground. Looked funny as hell and the drains dragged all the way... The trailer had a higher ground clearence than the truck did to begin with