Thoughts on a Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LazyWeekends, Feb 8, 2002.

1. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

I currently have about 40 residential customers, averaging about 5000 sq. ft., and I use my Toro Z Master 44" for all of them. I have a concern with the quality of cut and also where I am tearing up the turf with the wheels on the turns. No matter how easy and slow I take it I always seem to "leave my mark", especially in the areas where repeated turns are necessary and in wet conditions.

So as a way of improving the quality of cut and to try and eliminate or reduce turf damage from turning, I am considering buying a Walkbehind, specifically a new model Gravely 48" Hydro or a Toro Proline 44".

My questions is:
    Will I be buying the W/B for the right reasons, in other words, will a walkbehind cut better and not tear up the turf as bad?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I do not feel like a walkbehind will sove your problems at all. The problem is with the operator, not the mower. You need to learn to make a careful 3 point turn and keep all tires moving when making a change in direction. A hydro walkbehind will steer just the same as your rider only youll be walking behind it!

3. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

Evan is right. even a walk behind will scuff a lawn when turning.

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

How's your tire pressure? If you have too much psi that will cause you to scuff up the turf. If you get a walk-behind you'll just be getting a smaller tire (which should actually be worse!) I would stick with the Z, you will be going backwards in productivity with a wb.

5. LazyWeekends

LazyWeekends LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input guys, got me thinking again. Probably won't get the W/B now.

6. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

3 point turns are the key. You may also need to slow down some. What I was doing was pivoting the inside wheel in place when turning, or spinning it because I didn't slow down. Both tore up lawns.

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I did get a WB for this exact reason, and I have seen positive results. Places that I used to 'leave my mark' are now filling in nicely and the cut is excellent. I guess since I'm chasing the thing, I'm a lot easier in the turns than I was with the Z, even though I am very careful with the Z. The particular customer that I had the problem with is now thrilled with her yard. Plus I increased my versatility by purchasing the WB. I say go for it.

8. Both mower types turn in the same aspect.

But a WB will tread lighter on wet turf, and in some cases leave less damage.

All are correct in technique as the answer.

As what CSRA said for versitillity a WB will fill that well.

Now as far as productivity how much faster will a larger WB do than a smaller ZTR?

Unless you get the same size in a WB on the lawn sizes you specified how much faster will a ZTR be? Not much to make that big of a difference.

9. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

CRSA,

Do you still have and use the ZTR? I have all walk behinds right now but am very seriously considering a ZTR. The main reason is increased productivity. I now have a 48" eXmark WB, a 50" Gravely WB and a 60" tricycle Yazoo ( old as the hills and needs to be sent out to pasture). I am thinking that my ideal setup would be a 36" WB (access fenced areas), a ~48" WB and about a 60" ZTR. Anybody have any thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Ed

10. RB

RB LawnSite Senior Member

Get a wb and for the z on 5,000 sq. ft. lawns. I bet you will mow faster with a 48" wb than you can w/44" z. A three point turn -- that will take forever. That Toro 44" will turf a lawn even when it's dry.