Thoughts on Ariens Mowers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soonernation, Jun 28, 2004.

1. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

A friend of mine let me try out an Ariens 21" and it runs circles around my Toros. I dont know a lot about the company but it seems to be a very good product. I talked to my local dealer about eventually buying a Z and he thinks the Ariens Z ranks up there with scag, Dixie Chopper, Grasshopper, Exmark, Etc. I thought I would see what you all had to say about the 21" and the Z's.
  2. i think the areins commercial 21 is a good mower i have one i mow mostly my own lawn... it and a old toro take care of my big lawn ...the z's dunno ...they look like homeowner grade to me
  3. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I had a commercail Ariens commercail mower with a 5hp Kawasaki engine, the engine ran great, it was the self propel system that gave me the most problems, we dont use it anymore due to that. There commercail mowers are very heavy, hard to manuver IMHO. Good mower other than the self propell system.
  4. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

I have a 21" Ariens with a 5hp Tecumseh vector engine that was purchased in 1995.

Built like a tank
    Great side discharge mower
    Good cut quality
    Good mulching
    Good bagging

Bag design not the greatest (hard to empty)
    Tools required to go from bagging/mulching to discharge
    Tecumseh engine is marginal at best, but has lasted much longer than I ever thought it would.

Overall it is a sturdy, reliable, no-frills mower. I would definately purchase another.
  5. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

I have 2 Husqvarna 21" made by Ariens. The mowers bag great . The drive is somewhat complicated but once adjusted properly should be trouble free. I replaced the side discharge chute nuts with wing nuts the first day i got them so i could change from side discharge to bagging without tools.

The Ariens ztr's seem to be geared more for the home user. I would suggest that you look at the Gravley side of the Ariens company for your commercial needs.
  6. meathead1134

meathead1134 LawnSite Senior Member

I got one with a 5 hp tecumsah on it. Built like tank a take takes a beating and works very well

7. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

Thank you for all your input. I really like the oversize back wheels which help when we go over roots and provide a little more stability when the ground is bumpy. To tell you the truth, I like everything about this mower and the new Toros I have can not keep up with it. I just don't see a lot of them around, especially on mowing crews which are mostly Toro and Honda. As for the Z's, I've never owned one, but the Dixie Choppers, Gravelys, Scags, Etc... Look much more durable than the Ariens Z I looked at. Thanks again for your input.
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

go with the gravely Z, the ariens is more consumer grade.
  9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Ariens is built about 30 miles from me in Brillion Wi. Decent homeowner stuff but some of the stuff I hear guys call "REPARIENS". Gravely is the commercial division. Decent people but I onlyt demoed a prototype WB a few years back. Used to be an engineer here (Barry) but he went from the Gravely div to the homeowner div I guess. He was a good guy and he contributed alot here while he was active.
  10. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I have an ariens 21 wb and it is the best wb i have ever bought. It runs just like it did the first time i used it 3 yrs age