1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on BBB

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by twomancrew, Jun 25, 2013.

1. twomancrew

twomancrew LawnSite Senior Member

Been playing phonetag with Iowa BBB last week. Got them today, they want $370/year to enroll our lawn service. Not looking for any specific angles here, what should I be considering in this decision.

We only mow large commercial properties and cemeteries. No residential work, no construction. No marketing budget. I honestly feel that my customers are lucky to have me there, and I think they know that.

My first thought was "this is a no-brainer for $370 a year". Then I had the idea to ask here for input, this is a first. Please any thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. tell you what, send me $200 dollars and you will get as much with me as paying them $370 dollars.
  3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

What would you benefit joining them? Commercial/municipal accounts could (for the most part) care less about the BBB, if you wanted to market residential it might help having that sticker on your truck. Other than that I think it would be a waste of money for you, JMHO.
  4. Whippit96

Whippit96 LawnSite Member

Do a google search on the BBB and you will find it's nothing more than a scam.
  5. twomancrew

I didn't want to muddy up the water by letting my opinion out yet, but I think we are all on the same page. My boss at the last job I worked had the BBB sticker,but always complained about who they are, what they do, and how it works. He was a huge dealer/retailer and for him it probably did matter having that sticker. I think the lady on the phone at BBB had a "you need us" attitude, and I cannot get over her "the only way I can do this is if you give me credit or check over the phone right now". I had already pulled up the website, and I knew I had the IA BBB on the phone. They tell consumers about credit over the phone scams. They have banners all over their own website, yet this is how they do business. I told her if she emailed me more info I would look it over. Thanks all, I didn't want to make a decision I would regret later.
  6. Whippit96

Whippit96 LawnSite Member

Good luck twomancrew, and jut remember that just because something seem's to be "official" it's often just a way to part business' from their money.
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I'll do the same for $199. :drinkup:

One of the biggest scams out there.

PS I have a long lost uncle in Nigeria that wants to send me $20 MILLION, all I have to do is send him $5,000 first. What do you all think?
  8. Efficiency

Efficiency LawnSite Bronze Member
    from zone 6

Ill split the 5 if we can split the 20?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. twomancrew

Thanks everyone. Mark we must be related because I too have a lost Uncle in Nigeria. Small world. I'm keeping the $ in the bank.
  10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Run as fast as you can the other way!!!! It's nothing short of a scam!! I don't understand why a business should have to pay to be rated by the BBB??? Basically, anyone that is willing to pay can have a good rating, regardless of what type of company they actually are. That makes no sense.