Thoughts on Bush Hog brand zero turns?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dugann, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

About to pull the trigger on my first zero turn. I live in a small town in SW Arkansas so options are limited. I want a mower that I know that I can get fixed and serviced locally, that has a good warrenty, that is small enough to use on my med lawns and yet big enough to kick in in the arse on the bigger lawns (IE 44-48 inch cut), and that has a HEAVY deck.

So far my options I have to choose from is Cub Cadet, Grasshopper, John Deer, Xmark, Husky, Craftsman, Bush Hog, and Hustler dealer is 30 miles away. So far the Bush Hog has stacked up to all of them and decks seems better then all of them. The price is also better then most beside the cheapies ie (craftsman, husky, etc from like sears and attwoods)

What are your guys thoughts on Bush Hogs? or other options?

Go HOGS! Spring is near woot!!

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

my friend, you are in Bad Boy Mower country. You have 3 dealers within 50 miles of you. They're manufactured right there in Batesville, so service and parts are readily available. Parts not in stock would be available next day via ground shipping since the factory is so close.

They have the heaviest deck in the industry, a solid 1/4" thick fully baffled design with 1.5" cast iron spindles mounted on it. The blade tip speed is 18950 feet per minute, which is higher than most other Zs on the market. $6395 will land you their Pup series model which cuts at 10mph and has a 30hp- yes, thirty horsepower Kohler Command Pro engine mated to a 48" deck. They also have 52" and 60" models.

Check em out!
  3. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

wow.tb8100 just made me a believer! if bad boy is in your area,that is a good mower.Bush hog just sent me a flyer in the mail but i don't no much about them b/c i haven't seen them in my area so i can't talk good or bad about them.
  4. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

no bad boy dealers here. But Bush Hog so much better built as far as I can tell then the others. They look good and meet all the things that I need out of a zero turn so far. Hustler is 2nd on list but they are so much more expensive and about the same as bush hog.
  5. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

thanks i'll check it out, still long drive and don't meet my service requirement. although I have heard great things about the bad boys
  6. tb8100

from TX

37 miles is too far to drive to save hundreds of dollars? :confused:

Guarantee you, the Bush Hog has nothing on Bad Boy mowers. Bad Boy's got more HP for the money, an electric deck lift, a stronger deck, a much stronger frame, more fuel capacity, an easier front deck leveling system (deck rides on chains on rear and basically tractor top links on the front), higher blade tip speed, much larger hydraulic fluid reservoir, much shorter overall length (7"!), and a host of other differences.

Even Scag is better for the money. You have a Scag dealer 40 miles away. Bush Hog looks like an ok mower, but there are others that offer alot more and have a better design.
  7. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

thanks for info i am tonight and in morning looking into this brand. 35 miles don't seem like a lot but service is the concern here with that. IE if it goes down, 35 up 35 back=70 miles and down time.

bush hog dealer here in town not over ran in summer do to a tractor shop, and $3999 is his price which i think i can get down to 3500. 46 inch 19 hp kaskii.

but do like what i have seen thanks to your info on the bad boys.
  8. tb8100

from TX

Sure thing bro! Do what's best for your biz! Nobody pays me to be on here and I don't get kick backs. Just trying to save a fellow businessman some buckolaz. :usflag:
  9. ubercons

ubercons LawnSite Member

If bad boys such a great mower why are there no commercial guys using them...get an exmark
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. ArDonnie

ArDonnie LawnSite Member

I was in mena recently. Saw a grasshopper dealer. I have used them for years. You get what you pay for.