Thoughts on buying in bulk

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by THill3, Feb 19, 2005.

1. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

Alright everone I need some help on my split mind. I have been trying to decide if buying granular fertilizer in bulk is better. It cuts out the driving to the store all the time and you nomally save money in bulk. But on the other hand if I have all this stuff in stock and a new better product comes out I am stuck with all of my money invested in this other product. What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone know of any websites to buy in bulk that has prices?

Thanks in advance

Tim

2. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

How much better can a new product be? It's not like lightening is going to strike.

3. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

How much do you consider to be bulk ?

Mike

4. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

1 or two pallets full direct from someone

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to burst your bubble, but 2 pallets is not really considered bulk. A tractor trailer load is bulk. 2 pallets may get you an ok price, but certainly not a good one. Once you get up to about 5 or more pallets a round then you can talk better prices.

6. ForeverGreen

ForeverGreen LawnSite Member
    from NW Ohio

I use about 35 tons of 24-5-11 3% fe 50% slow "Andersons" and would not consider bulk. Even the 1000 lb bulk sacks are a pain. Use to sell 5000 tons of dry bulk per year in the ag business and the moisture issues and inventory control were a problem.The best cost savings can be had by simply shopping for the best product. The markup on the fert should be such that paying an extra buck or so per 50 lb bag will not hurt the profit margin. Go for the best product first, best service and advise second and "price" a distant third. Something to consider also is will my dealer that perhaps charge a little more provide me with an agronomist if I need one, will they take plant samples to a lab to be diagnosed. Do they keep me up to speed with old proven product lines that going off the market and do not have good replacements?These value added services can be worth a lot $$ to us full service LCO like yourself. Just my 2 cents.