Thoughts On Cat 247 Demo

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by mrsops, Apr 2, 2008.

1. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

demoed the cat 247 today was suppose to be the 257 series 2 but they are getting that out to me next week so they dropped off this machine as you all know bobcat ron has this same machine...

visibility was real nice in the front just like my t190.. but i found one big problem ron how the hell do you see out of the right side of the machine with that big red safety bar in the way? you have to lift the loader arms to see the track i didn't like that. i liked that anti stall feature that was definitely cool. i was very nervous when i had this machine working when going back and fourth every so often i would here a cracking noise like the little rocks were getting wedged inside. also when going into a heavy pile of dirt the hydraulics felt like they were humming my t190 whines and this machine humms i could of started dancing LOL.. The ride was definitely smooth in the cat.. my t190 was a stronger machine then this 247 hands down but when i demo the 257 i will give my honest opinion on that as well.. for my application for some jobs I'm on i feel my t190 has a stronger undercarriage and can take more of a beating.. my cat dealer agreed with me on that 1 to

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

sops, If the dealer can get you one, try out a C series Skid/MTL and you'll be amazed at how much you can see. I went to a CAT open house and got a chance to be in both and the visibility to the sides as well as to the bucket was great. BTW, congrats on the 305, that's my dream machine.

3. mrsops

thank you lazer.. the problem is those c series machines just like the t300 and t320 are just to big to get into areas where im working.. thats why there bringing me out the 247 and 257

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Well, I'm hoping that the 257B2 treats you better than the 247 did. It should though as the 257 is rated @2500lb's ROC at 50% Tipping load, the 247 is only 2050. Yeah, I know the C's are big but the visibility is something else.

5. mrsops

how was the visibility on the 257b2??

6. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

I always learned to lift the loader on Bobcat loaders for maximum visibility, it's just something you get used to. The nice thing you'll notice right away is the track visibility is better because they are wider and the point of view to the rear idlers is impressive due to the angle of the drive motor and idler wheels.
    The whining noise will go away after 20 hours or so, but if you run it WOT, the noise will always be around, just back off the throttle to 80% and it's real quiet.
    As for rocks getting trapped inside, the rear is where you'll hear the cracking noise with the steel rollers, but if a big 3 inch rock gets into the track, you'll feel a slight resistance and it will go away, it's like driving over a 6" rock with the side walls of your rubber tired skids.

7. mrsops

im going to be loading some trucks with it tomm but i wouldnt buy this machine.. i want to get into that 257b and see what its all about...

by the way ron this machine barely loads my big dump truck.. another thing i didnt like

8. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

Any pics sops?

9. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

a some what related question, how crazy do you guys get about cleaning the mud out of the tracks? in the summer when its not gona freeze do you even bother?

10. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

It loads into one of our "normal" trucks here, but I know you Yankees have taller trucks, so that's the only thing I miss with my old T190, but after you play with the 247, demand to get the 257 for truck loading.