Thoughts on compressor? Looking to get a new one before fall.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by shop's lawn, Jun 23, 2012.

1. shop's lawn

shop's lawn LawnSite Member

I'm looking to update our towable compressor- I found ingersoll rand p8185 model number with a john deere diesel used for $6000.00- I'm not sure how many hours are on machine- waiting for call back on more info. looks like it very good shape.

Which compressor's do you guys like best or any ones to stay away from?

Thanks!

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive used Sullair comps with no problems, big and small. That said, I have never heard anyone complain about IR. A friend of mine is a service tech for IR and says they are pretty solid.

3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

IR 185 is a solid machine. We have one and never a problem. But it can overkill for most residentials. My GS 100 can handle 90-95% of the residentials we service.

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

A 125 gas will service almost all systems.

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Any thoughts on a single stage compared to a dual stage IR 185 compressors out there?

6. djagusch

from MN

Kyle what model do you currently have?

7. shop's lawn

shop's lawn LawnSite Member

I have a sullair right now dustin. still will use this one but getting old and worn out so dont want to have it break and not be with a unit to cover.

8. djagusch

from MN

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I just picked up a older IR 185 air compressor for dirt cheap but works good. Figured it would be a good back up for the season.

I'm planning on renting one out for 2 months. Got it lined up already.

Thought about buying another but the $5k to $7K range seemed price high compared to the 2008 or newer rental's that you can pick up for $9k or so. Most likely over winter I'll try to buy a newer rental on the offseason pricing.