Thoughts on flyers,doorhangers etc...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SONSCAPES, Jan 30, 2005.

1. SONSCAPES

SONSCAPES LawnSite Member

First off i'd like to say i've had pretty good sucess with flyers in the past but the guy who i buy mulch,pinestraw and so on from. warned me that from his experience putting out flyers on other LCO's turf is a quick way to make your competitors upset. i believe he knows what he is talking about since before he started selling landscape materials he was a lco for over 20 years.personally i think it is fair game. :)

2. Grass Gator

Grass Gator LawnSite Member

I didn't know other LCO's had their own turf! In this area nobody can get exclusive rights to an area. I can see maybe being a "preferred" service provider for a homeowners association or somthing (more like a referral) but not rights to an area. Around here ther are fliers and door hangers put out before ours and some placed out after ours. You just hope your flier or door hanger looks the most professional enough to generate a call.

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

There is plenty of areas in the residential to not step on toes too much.
    But if you plan to ever go commercial YOU will NEVER get an account if you think you can avoid stepping on another LCOs turf.
    Go out hang your hangers, visit commercial prop. managers and go for it or you might just as well stay home, Be competitive not cheap & not over priced
    resonable prices with Quality is all that counts. If a prospective client is unhappy with their current LCO how can they make a decision to change if you don't offer the opportunity.
    payup One more time, competitive bidding, not lowballing, is key. :D

4. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Every year I receive 3-4 flyers on my door form LCO's wanting to cut my grass. :gunsfirin

5. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing against anyone else in this business, but since when do I make money by making the competition unhappy? Sounds like this guy wants to suppress the competition.

I was passing out flyers this past October for cleanup and ran across another guy who asked me not to pass out flyers in that neighborhood because it was his territory. I told him that if he wants to "own" a neighborhood, he can do it by outperforming everyone else, but that my flyers were going anywhere I want to put them.

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

If he is making his customers in his territory happy then he should have no reason to care what you do with your hangers, right?
    On the other hand maybe he is speeding thru them without Quaility and has something to fear.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

I meant to say "making the competition HAPPY." My bad.

8. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

It's fare game out their that's what make's it so tuff do what you have to survive you will have it done to you again and again so don't be afraid!

9. SONSCAPES

SONSCAPES LawnSite Member

I agree with all of you guys. If i sat at home and did not network because i did not want to upset the competition I would be BROKE! thanks for the input.

10. Eagle Lawn Care

Eagle Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from ga

I would have to say that if a competitor says what he said to you then he probably isnt anyone to worry about. That is not the professional way to handle something like that. But alls that would do to me is make me want to push even harder in that area.