Thoughts on Hustler Sport ZT mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Specop_007, Jun 4, 2010.

1. Specop_007

Specop_007 LawnSite Member

I should be headed to the dealer tomorrow to pick one up. Thinking real hard about a Sport 42" with a Honda motor. The 48" with a Honda is really, really at the edge of my budget for a mower.

I could do a 48" with a Briggs motor but the thought of a high quality motor makes me smile.

I have an acre to an acre and a half to mow right now, and sometimes mow the step moms place which is another acre or so.

Which means I have tonight to nail down what I want. I just dont see that extra 6" being all that significant. What are others thoughts on the matter?
  2. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i would buy more mower than my budget would allow!!!! when you think of the money over the life of the mower, i would beg, borrow or steal to go larger. the extra trim capacity of the 48" will be appreciated as well as the wider cut. i have a 42" MFT which was my primary mower at my first house which had .5ac. that was the sweet spot for that size mower. i moved to a 2ac property and was not happy with cutting 42" swaths. i bought a 52" Super Mini-Z and i will tell you that the extra width is more important that the speed difference bw the two mowers.

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just going to chime in on speed. Speed is not everything. Just because a mower can do 15 mph in travel. It can't travel that fast mowing. Or if it can there are other considerations to take into account. Grass type. I can mow softer grass types like St Aug faster than I can mow the Bahia grass at my place. Levelness and smoothness of the land. Once again I can mow a flat smooth lawn faster than I can mow my rough, bumpy, holey, wind row, tree rooted piece of land I own. So if I'm mowing at 5 mph, I'm flying!!! But getting it all mowed in one pass, I'm getting the job done. My mower will do 10 mph. My back and teeth can't!

4. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Hustler Sport ZTR's are junk!!! That's why I bought one :)
    You cannot go wrong with Hustler. Hell, I had a Hustler MFT and sold it a few years ago. I then bought a Red Hawk walk behind, a John Deere ZTR and some regular 21" push mowers and guess what? I sold the John Deere and Red Hawk and came back to the Hustler family. I will never stray away again :)
  5. bigjoedo

bigjoedo LawnSite Member

I've had my Hustler Sport for several weeks now and Love the thing. It is faster than the Old ZTR it replaces. The grass catcher works well, the cut is excellent. :usflag:
  6. srheinz

srheinz LawnSite Member

Got my Hustler Sport 42 last Friday. Went with the Honda engine. My yard looks like a velvet blanket and it cut my mowing time in half going from a garden tractor. I love it. You can't go wrong with it and I can't wait for the grass to grow again!
  7. Sport42

Sport42 LawnSite Member

Sport owners keep growing. It's a great mower.
  8. bigjoedo

bigjoedo LawnSite Member

It is a great mower, welcome to the Hustler Sport club.
  9. Specop_007

Specop_007 LawnSite Member

Picked it up Saturday. Couldnt be happier! That Honda is a great engine, just chugs along.

10. laxman3221

laxman3221 LawnSite Member
    from MD

What's the black knob above the PTO knob?