Thoughts on hydro walk behinds

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by S man, Dec 22, 2005.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I checked the prices on some of these and it seems like you could get a commercial ztr for a little more.

2. CNE

CNE LawnSite Member

I bought a 48' Gravely Hydro WB a couple of years ago. They are good for small areas, ditches, embankments and stuff. My Exmark doesn't do well on inclines. It tends to slide alot. Problem is, I don't use the WB much because I'm part time. I went to buy a 36" and they had this 48 trade in at a good deal so I bought it instead for later when I go full time (hopefully next year). I have thought about selling it and getting a smaller ZTR (42, 48). I would use that more right now.

3. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Your choice of equipment has more to do with your service area and the types of lawns you will have than the price difference between a w/b and a rider. If you are all big, wide open lawns, then the biggest decked rider than can give you the quality of cut you are after is a no brainer. However, if you are doing a lot of residentials with small gates, trees, strips of grasses, business parking areas, ara that need to be traversed, like stairs and such, then a wb is a smarter tool that will have better productivity. Try to match equipment for the job you have every opportunity that you get, the increased efficiency will give you the dollars to buy more equipment as you expand.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you are only buying 1 mower the W/B would be the best as far as versatility.
    It is much better on hills, Which you may not have in N O
    Also better under trees.
    I do not use Zs on any small residential lots.
    We have red clay that can be rutted easy so it is a weight issue.
    Add with the hills we have here there is no job that I do that I can only use a Z, every job needs the walk somewhere.
    I could not do business if I only had Zs but I could if I only had walks.
    ( I only use 60" decks on Zs)

5. S man

Riders are very heavy on light soils. I looked at a scag with 1000 lbs.

6. Sunshine Lawn Co

Sunshine Lawn Co LawnSite Member

I use a 48 and a 52 Gravely W/B , Most of my customers would fire me on the spot if i showed up to mow the lawn with a rider.

7. chopsticks33

chopsticks33 LawnSite Member

ill get to the point...if you are getting a w/b, and you have the money, get a hydro

8. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

Walkbehinds are the way to go. I have a Z and love it but a W/B will do it all and costs less to operate overall. Alot more versital. And deffinatly go hydro if possiable.

9. S man

Walk behinds I hear are more fun to use also. Grab a sulky and you're good to go.

10. Husky05

Husky05 LawnSite Senior Member

If you plan on buying a Walk-behind buy one that is a Hydro. It is night and day compared to one that is belt driven. Much smoother, easier and friendlier to operate. I have a 36 and 48 inch walk-behind made by husqvarna. I like them both very well.