Thoughts on my ad?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hamons, Jul 28, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I'm looking for your ideas and criticisms on an ad I am having designed to be placed in a local paper.

I have about a week to fine tune it -- so any ideas would be appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

If I was looking for a lawn care company it would catch my attention for sure!In short I like it :) :) :)

3. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Great ad! Without any changes, I think that will work well.

However, just because you asked for feedback, I'll throw in a few things I read in Guerilla Marketing Handbook (a must-have book) for you to consider;

* Make sure you have a strong headline
    * Your headline must either convey a benefit or intrigue the reader into reading more.
    * Write your headline in news style, using words like, "Announcing" or "New"
    * Emphasize the word FREE and repeat it when possible
    * Announce a Free Offer
    * Create a sense of urgency in the ad - like "Act Now"

4. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good!

5. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

Hey Jim,

Is that Guerilla Marketing Handbook from Gary Halbert??? I was an understudy of his back when I had a marketing company... He knows his stuff...

What you are suggesting is that an ad be written to look like a news story... as "editorial" or that which "looks like editorial" gets up to 500% more readership... And yes getting attention (the headline) is the most important part... actually about 90% worth of importance!!! Maybe something like:

WARNING: Don't call any landscape company before you read this!

or

Announcing a sure fire way to have your grass Emerald Green within 24 hours!

There are five fundamentals in writing a good advertisement:

1) Get Attention
    2) Show people and advantage
    3) Prove it
    4) Persuade them to GRASP the advantage
    5) Ask for action....

Jeff... Good luck and let us know how it turns out... btw... I talked with Dee at Rock Solid and told her you were talking up the plugr on lawnsite... I got mine in last week and put a few hours on it... Nice aerator... Thanks for the advice... :)

6. lugnut#6

lugnut#6 LawnSite Senior Member

looks good.....cept that pic of yourself:D
    try getting a woman in a bikini to kneel down behind the spreader.SEX SELLS;)

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Simply put,.....Great ad. The advice, ALL the advice that Jim gave - is priceless. Incorporate some of this, and I hope you have someone available to answer your phone. Good luck with it, and PLEASE let us know how it turns out!:)

8. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

Lugnut -- first. I thought about the bikini idea. But when I tried it on it seemed to be so stunning -- I was afrai people wouldn't be able to tear their eyes away from it and see the message. :D

I have tried to steer away from using price in this ad since I really am trying to find those customers who want high quality and not something cheap.

I can't compete with cheap -- Tru\Green and others have that market covered. However, I can compete with quality and knowledge and personal service!!!!!

Do you think it would be worth putting something in like Free Soil Test with every new customer? I usually do that anyway -- but I could just highlite it the ad.

9. JimLewis

Free soil test, free soil "analysis", whatever. But YES, add FREE somewhere.

10. JimLewis

Ick! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: