Thoughts on quick 36 engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Mar 24, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I know kawasaki is more prefered in commercial applications but was wanting to discuss the briggs els vs. the kaw kai. Any thoughts are welcomed.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

The one we tested for TURF has the 16HP Briggs ELS and it honestly was a very good and very strong motor on this mower. In addition location of the spin-off oil filter and oil change extended line makes oils changes a breeze.

3. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Which issue of Turf was the review in?

H

4. MMLawn

It is in an Upcoming issue. I have no control of which one but the review was completed and send along with pics to the mag a couple months ago so I suspect probably the April issue since March just came out.

If you post this question on the TURF Forum on here I am sure they can tell us all which issue it will be it. It also by the way has some amazing "loading" photos and even shows a female employee using the mower.

5. S man

Let me guess the kaw came later and you didn't get to test it right?

6. MMLawn

Yep. I knew it was coming though from my dealings with Gary and John at Better but I couldn't "spill the beans" until they announced it. :cry:

Even though I love KAW engines I still believe though that the 16HP ELS Briggs they use on the SD is a fine engine for their application.

7. S man

I think of it as the briggs is easier to repair and parts are cheaper. The kawasaki is very dependable but is expensive on parts.

8. MMLawn

Exactly. Plus the ELS series is rated at 2,000 hours used commercially....that ain't bad.

9. vanguard

vanguard LawnSite Member

My only problem with the Kawi is the location of the muffler. With the short length of the quick deck, getting under a bush or mowing under a split rail type fence could cause havoc with the muffler. My quick sd has the els and I've run the shroud and even the fuel pump into things.

10. rlpenny

rlpenny LawnSite Member

Interesting point. I've a Super Duty model as well and noticed you can propel the Quick 36 under many things. Sure makes quick work in and around swing sets as the plastic shroud on the front of the Briggs ELS engine is easy on the swings and I can just gently push them away and sideways, etc. Not sure if I'd want that Kaw muffler sticking out so far. Then again, the KAW surely is more for the true commercial fellow with a multi-man crew and the guy with the string trimmer would cut those tighter spots that this home owner prefers to get with his mower.

Guess the large KAW muffler wouldn't bother the commercial fellow but might get in the way for the homeowner only using the mower a time or three each week.

One nice thing though about the front mounted muffler on the KAW twin model is the noise level at the operator's ear level should be lower. The only negative comment on the Super Duty I have is it has a rear discharge muffler pointing straight into a piece of sheet metal 1/2 inch away. Sure makes for more noise than if the briggs ELS motor had a side or front discharge muffler instead of rear discharge.

FYI...used my Super Duty to scalp the bermuda and zoysia and it stomped through the stuff at speeds I'd never attain with my 21 Ariens trimmer mower.