1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on reconditioned products?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by jasonj24680, Jan 7, 2007.

1. jasonj24680

jasonj24680 LawnSite Member

I purchased a reconditioned 3 speed 21" Honda Mower for $250. I thought it was a really great deal. Is it too much of a gamble buying reconditioned equiptment?
  2. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have been told only buy reconditioned equipment if it comes with the original warranty. What I mean is...person "A" buys it from sears; wont start. Sears takes it in and fixes the problem and resells it to person "B".
  3. jasonj24680

Yeah, the lady at the Depot told me it still comes with the manufacture's warranty.
  4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

My thought on this is do you really want to buy a mower that has already had to be fixed soon after someone bought it? Do you want to bet your business on it? Always buy new especially small equipment. Even if it has a warranty that doesn't mean its not going to give you trouble.
  5. jasonj24680

Well I spent about every penny I had to purchase this and the other start up equiptment I got. I figure I gotta start somewhere. I just can't afford that other stuff right now.