thoughts on renting a dump trailer for extra money

Discussion in 'Rental Equipment' started by platinumservice, Feb 17, 2014.

1. platinumservice

platinumservice LawnSite Member

I'm thinking of purchasing a 16ft pj dump trailer to use for when i haul topsoil mulch and others things i know that when i buy it its also going to sit more then my other trailers. But im thinking of renting out to some roofers or other people mainly just drop off to there site and pick up when its full. Any ideas on pricing and other things i should worry about?

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

A lot of risks involved in the whole thing. It most certainly can get overloaded and you could have a mess on your hands. Might have to get some form of extra insurance but im not sure. I think KrazyKajun was planning on or does something like this. Maybe ask him

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

The mindset of an equipment renter " it ain't mine".
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. walkerway

walkerway LawnSite Member

I used to rent my dump trailer out mostly to buddies and people I knew, the problem is that they wanted it when I needed it the most. So what s the point of having a trailer if you can't use it when you need it. Renters also beat the tar out of stuff, torquer the tires, drag the cord on the road, then bring it back and they don't know anything about what they damaged.

5. platinumservice

thats true the way i look at it though is its way of making money without spending alot of time involved. Ive looked at businesses that do it and it seems like the have things pretty covered in there contracts with the people if damage occurs or it gets overfilled.I do want to get into the wheeled dumpster business and felt this might be a way.

6. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Drop it and lock the coupler. Have clear cut rules as to what they can fill it with and check before you leave. If they didn't follow rules dump it right there.

Don't let the person transport it
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. platinumservice

is this from experience? seems like that would be the best way to go.

8. whiffyspark

I'm doing it this year when I'm slow. It's the best way to go

Figure out how much it would cost you to dump a full trailer of each material and base your price from there. I pay $65 a ton for most stuff.

I'm buying a 15k gvwr I don't want someone trying to pull it with a ranger lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. platinumservice

hmm do you know if i will need any other type of insurance on it other then the normal coverage one would get to use for themselves if its only going to be me doing the transporting?

10. whiffyspark

Gray area. Have to ask your agent

We don't need insurance in md vechile covers it. Theft would be a good idea
    Posted via Mobile Device