Thoughts on the Encore gas tank.

Discussion in 'Encore Equipment' started by PGA, Apr 21, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I just wanted to get a thought out on the removable gas tanks on my Encore 48 WB.

GREAT IDEA! People have been wanting this for years. Its nice to be able to carry the tank with me if I need to fill up my truck and not have to haul the trailer around.

Poor design.

Here's my problem. The quick connect sits almost an inch above the bottom of the tank so when your on a hill and your running low the machine starts to sputter and by the time you get straight all the gas it out of the hose and the filter and you have to wait for it to fill back up.

Just some thoughts....

Any chance of maybe modifying the design on them in the near future?

Keep up the good work!

And by the way, I heard a couple twisters hit Beatrice last week?...Encore make it out ok?
  2. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

its stupid, and you will never use it, you will still use your gas can
  3. PGA

Ill never use my gas tank?
  4. lazer9284

lazer9284 LawnSite Member
    from florida

you will have to carry a spare tank to refill right?
    you are not saving any work or time if you just fill it back up with a gas can.
    save the 60 bucks and dont buy an extra tank.
  5. PGA

I never said once I was going to buy the extra tank. What are you talking about? Im just talking about the tank in general and how I can remove it and take it with me instead of hauling the whole mower around.

Instead of bashing a sponsors products in their own forum learn how to read.
  6. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

#1 - no need to use insults to make a point
    #2 - I think a removable tank makes perfect sense if you actually think about the situations you can be in
    #3 - why not ask Encore why it is an option if you disagree instead of just calling it "stupid"?
  7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I almost bought an encore just because of that feature. I like the concept. Say if you had an enclosed trailer. You wouldn't have to pull the mower out to fill it up. Just pop off the tank and fill it up out side, then put it back on. Works great.
  8. PGA

It works great in tight gas stations also where you cant pull the trailer up after you gas up the truck.

All in all its a revolutionary idea except for the design flaw mentioned above.
  9. Encore Mfg.

Encore Mfg. LawnSite Member

The primary reason for the tank is safety!

There are hundreds of lawn mower fires every year that is caused by gas being spilled on the exhaust during the refuelling process ...Ideally, you are supposed to let the mower cool before refuelling......With the Encore walk-behinds if you had an extra tank that is already filled with gas, you could just swap out the empty tank w/ the full one and be back mowing very quickly w/o the risk of fire.

There are 400,000 people in this country who are injured by lawnmowers every year.....If we at Encore can design our products to the best of our ability with our customers safety in mind....then that is what we are going to do!
  10. PGA

Understood and the tanks are appreciated.

Any chance what I told you about the location of the quick connect will be addressed? I know it sounds small but its a real PITA.