Thoughts on the Expo!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Oct 8, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I spent some time at the Expo in Louisville but concentrated on just a few brands Exmark, Toro, Scag, Grasshopper, Deere. First of all Exmark had the largest best stocked testing area around. Almost every model was there to be tested and we had a great time trying the different models. The most impressive thing was the 35 hp Vanguard which will be available on all withs of XS models next year. I liked the mower and was impressed with the power of the big block but its a big mower. Probably too big for most of my lawns. The 35 Vanguard had noticeably more power than the 29DFI Kawasaki. Yes we drag raced them several times and the Vanguard would leave the Kaw sitting. Not saying its a better engine just that the raw power was very noticeable and it was smoother than I thought. Exmark was very friendly telling me about the Trition deck and the changes in store for 07 and how they had addressed problems with Northern grasses. The off set decks still bother me to some extent. Scag had such a small testing area as such a small selection of mowers that I really didn't learn much except they are rougher riding than the Exmarks. John Deere had an obstacle course for riders even though I'm impressed with the deck the rest of the mower didn't really catch my eye or alt least didn't appeal to me. The small front tires on them also concerns me. The standers were pretty impressive though (Deere). Grasshopper didn't seem to have a testing area but I was REALLY impressed with the new type of suspension seat. I would say that will move them up to being on of the better riding ZTR's. They need to spend more on promotion. Indoors the Exmark booth was well stocked and they were right there to answer any questions and very helpful with any problems and concerns previous of future. A gentleman by the name of Anthony Rowell regional sales manager from Brandon, MS was very helpful for Exmark. I went to the Scag booth which was laid out nice with a mirror under a tilted turf tiger to show the bottom very well and they had a turf tiger with a small Kubota but they could not tell me the Hp or torque of the engine. I stood there for what seemed like an eternity waiting at the counter of the Scag indoor booth to get service but ended up having to tug on one of the reps who didn't seemed to know much. So I learned nothing at the Scag booth except that the striper seems to be easy to put on and remove (good idea) and that they have a small Kubota mounted in a turf tiger that I still know little about. All in all very comfortable weather and nice exhibits.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

It is better, vanguards are on top in performance and power.

3. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Anything new with Exmark walk behinds?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry I was just comparing ZTR's....

5. Gatewayuser

Gatewayuser LawnSite Bronze Member

The Toro booth was my favorite they have many new great ideas and they will be setting up a demo for a couple of days for me.
    Spyker spreaders had a good booth too they let you spread rice to see how well they work. No more lesco's for me.
    I wanted to try out the DC propane mowers but there was way too much dust to wait for the chance.

They need to make new rules, #1 you have to provide a business lic #. there were too many idiots out there and too many little kids getting in the way. I look forward to the GIE next month to actually be able to get some decisions made. The lectures were good my fav being "Steps for making money without screwing up your life".

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello, kub engine will be the 23--25hp 900cc diesel . Apparently they will retain the diahatsu turbo also.Found this out when searching 4 info on the diahatsu engine.[rang importer] tomo

7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, need to know if TORO will be coming out with 66inch in turbo force configuration. Did any one see one .TOMO

8. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Did you check out the Hustler stand? Anything interesting

9. kipcom

kipcom LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

They need to STOP holding this EXPO during the BUSY season. We do not go due to the amount of workload we have now until the end of this season.

I would suggest December or even better JANUARY !!!! pre-season pricing and incentives.

10. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

kipcom, I am sure you are busy as the rest of us are, but I would prefer to demo a machine in sunny 70-80 degrees October weather rather than January or February. If it was strictly a indoor show, winter would be great and probably would double in attendance, but the value of the EXPO for me is being able to ran so many pieces of equip. in a couple of hours.