Thoughts on the Scag Pro-V...

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Aug 3, 2008.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I've not yet tried one out but would like some feedback on this machine if anyone has it. It looks like it may even be easier on the hands than an Exmark TT.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

It has extremely foreign controls and I dont understand why they are necessary. In my opinion..POS

3. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think "pos" and scag pro-v should be in the same sentence...let alone paragraph...hell, let alone page.

4. green-pa

It looks like it would be much easier on the hands than pistol grips so it could be a great improvement. Anyone know how long they've been out? Anyone own one and have something to say about it?

5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

Check this thread out...This LCO uses one...I believe he really likes it.

Tell ya what...It;s the meanest "looking" WB out right now, and seems like the controls would be very forgiving...cmon its a scag.

It's about 1/3rd down the page.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=237755&page=3

6. green-pa

Oh, yeah, that is some really positive stuff. 5 foot grass cut without bogging down though? Maybe if it was really sparse. I don't know. I've never had a pro-v. My 36 inch will start missing or cutting a bit sloppy when it's much over a foot if it's thick but if it's sparse, it can go right through it without double cutting.

7. green-pa

I'm wondering how hard it would be to just STOP quickly. It's very easy with a pistol grip. It looks like it may be a bit scary to go by a car or something that valueble or delicate closely. I usually leave space for safety which I can just trim later but am I going to have to really put space with this one?

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

I have run scags since 1999.
    I like scags
    Dont like Pro V
    Demoed it,
    Controls are stupid
    Maybe the rest of the mower is cool
    But I would want pistol grips.
    In my opinion Toro T bars, Hustler T bars rock, and even the ECS on the Exmark is way better than R2 D2 controls on the pro V.

NOW that being said..maybe they rock if you are using a velke, but they stink to walk behind.... and are kind of dangerous.

But honeslty if ou are using a velke just buy a stand on or a rider, velkes are for mowers where you walk most of th time and need a velke for those on or two big lawns or to tool down a block to a few lanws without moving the truck. IMO

9. green-pa

This is what I'm afraid of. As I was using my 36 inch belt driven Scag with Pistol grips today I was going straight down a hill for a few seconds and even thought the grass was a bit damp I could easily turn before going into this pond as usual. I'm afraid with the new scag pro-v it would be too dangerous in many situations. I mean what if u have to stop real quick? How to u keep it from rolling down a hill ect? Would an Exmark hydro with Esc be easier to control? I'm not sure if the pro's outweigh the cons on this thing yet. I still plan on trying one out to see how hard or easy it is to control.

10. green-pa

I'm thinking this mower would be super on flat ground though. I do plan on using a stand on, velky or whatever is best to keep my from walking too much. I use a velky on my 36 inch all day and it really saves my leggs.