Thoughts on these two trucks, 99 F250 or 96 F250

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KrayzKajun, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I'd get a diesel, no matter what..

If I were you, I'd be looking for a diesel utility body..

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Gas, for sure.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I've been really looking at the utility body trucks now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. KrayzKajun

I'm thinking about getting the 96' with the diesel and putting an 8ft utility body on it. Found a utility body for $500 on craigslist, and figure I can prolly get the truck for around $1500. So for $2k I could a pretty good landsacping/irrigation truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. lawnhoppers

lawnhoppers LawnSite Member

If it was me I would buy the gas engine.I have a 07 dually duramax,but always seem to be in my 99 2500.I even seem to pull my 27' gooseneck with the 99 way more often than with the newer diesel.

6. KrayzKajun

Well the gas truck sold. So the search continues. I am going look at an 01' F250 reg cab w/ utility bed, 5.4L V8, 146k miles, for $3100.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. lawnhoppers

lawnhoppers LawnSite Member

If you are set on buying a f250 I would try and find a v10 because it gets the same mileage as 5.4 but with alot more power which will be appreciated if towing heavy loads.I personally have had better luck with Chevrolets in that year range.My 99 with 350 has 285,000 and only thing replaced is brakes in last 4 years but we all have different preferences.

8. KrayzKajun

lawnhoppers, its funny you say that about the V10. i found this truck forsale yesterday on my way home.
    F250, V10 gas motor, 140k miles guy wants $2400.

IMG-20120713-00898.jpg

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Reading between the lines I say Gas not Diesel and this is WHY. First Louisiana is Flat Land. Second Open Trailers are easier to pull. That means there is no advantage in paying the Extra maintenance cost of a Diesel. Add in you already have a Dually for any heavy hauling.

In Edit: I would love the find a 4.3 V 6 in a C2500. I need the weight carrying for spray tanks. But not the heavy pulling power here in Flat land.

10. Deererunner

Deererunner LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Have you thought about a F-350 with a mason body? I know that you have your Walker mower and that would make it easy for hauling grass clippings along with other landscape jobs.