Thoughts on this box truck!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by KrayzKajun, Nov 20, 2012.

1. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah that would look great with your name plastered all over it! You will definitely be able to maneuver into spots where you probably couldn't with a trailer.

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Daylight pics. New tires on the rear. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

That really looks like a U-Haul box and if so I doubt it only has 125k on it. But I'd go for it.

4. tnmtn

tnmtn LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE Tn.

check the suspension good when you get to drive it. it might also be nice to scale it empty and get an idea of how overloaded it might have been in a previous life. keep in mind La. isn't famous for good roads which would also age it a bit. at that price it could be a good deal if everything checks out. Good Luck,

5. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Id be careful its not a "Katrina" victumn. Looks like it may have been impounded for some reason be catious

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

It was towed last week becuz the seller left it parked forsale in a parking lot over the weekend. I actually know the seller really well from when i was police officer. He owns a local leather goods company.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. CowboysLawnCareDelaware

CowboysLawnCareDelaware LawnSite Senior Member
    from DE

Just remember that's one more vehicle to pay insurance on. I have thought about a box truck but for now I am fine using my 06 GMC 2500hd.

-Michael

8. larryinalabama

Your good then. I had to buy 4 tires for my box when I bought it, I bought uniroyal to match the 2 new ones in the front and the bill was over 700$.

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

It needs a paint job. That overhang in the front doesn't look like a professional landscape company outfit. By the time you paint it then wrap it, put a ramp on it, you will have a lot of time and money invested in a 17 year old truck. I don't want to deal with breakdowns and excessive maintenance... I would pass.

If I were you I would plan on spending 10-15k and buy an Isuzu NPR that you will last 7-10 years. I just bought an 06 NPR crew cab diesel with 80k miles for 8k, and it was located just a couple hours from your location. I am going to set it up just like I want it(side dump, box, 2' dovetail) and I will keep it for the next 7-10 years.

10. larryinalabama

Looks like it was a yellow "penske" truck at one time.

Ive seen fellers paint the "box" with house paint using a roller brush and it looked presentable. The cab could be painted with a quart of acrilic enamal for around 150$ in materals. He said he already had a ramp.

O6 NPR for 8k would be better if he could find one.