Thoughts on this dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I am glad you took ten to deliver that gem. The driven truck part in the 'Nam was priceless. You could change your handle and would be indistingushable from GR.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Scarsella does have an @$$ load of those Macks, both in tractor and triaxle form. They have quite the Mack fleet and they run the piss out of those trucks.
  3. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

GR, you can have your junk alum cab trucks any day. That way at 6-7 hundred thousand miles, the cab is soo loose that the rattles will drive you nuts. Mack cabs have always been bigger, and have more room than a freightliner, pete, or KW. And a mack is gutless? Just let me know who rates HP at the wheels and who rates it at the flywheel. The mack he is looking at is 487hp at the wheels. Just try to turn your cat up to 550 at the flywheel to keep up and let me know when the bottom end comes apart. The cats will not last at this hp, has been proven over and over. A 3406 will only last 5-6 hundred thousand at that hp. And where do you buy tire at? Supersingles for the front are $7-8 hunded each, and drives are in the $300 area. I could almost get 2 sets for $8000! My family has been in the dumptruck business for 26 years, only hauling localy and to job sites 5 days a week. We had macks, a pete, a couple internationals, and a freightliner. Mack trucks will off road and lug better than any of the above. They run big straight trucks in my area, grosing 130,000LB, on 5 axles. 95% of them are macks with the 460 and 18 speeds. You better go and tell them they are gutless!
  4. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Well the first time a plug in the head backed off, and caused a bunch of water to end up in the oil. The plug was not installed correctly at the factory. The second problem was a major fuel leak at the pump, and can not remember what caused that. The third was computer related, and caused the truck to not idle correctly. But that was all at less than 50,000 miles. Was good to go after that. You will not regret a mack. Trust me, I have been arround all of them. Only people who cry about a mack is the mechanics that do not have the skills to pay the bills. Anyone can work on a cummins.I always though a pete or KW was a cadilac, but after driving them and working on them I think otherwise.
  5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Like I said good luck with the Mack it will be a upgrade from the Internationals you have.

The Kenworth transfer trucks haul 41 tons of material gross just under 140,000lbs. A tandem axle dump pulling a quad axle transfer or a tridrive pulling a quad axle transfer. Trucks run C-15 Cats 18spds they pull our 10% grade no sissy hills you have east.

On the current market a Mack Granite tandem axle dump sells new for 140,000 a Kenworth T-800 Dump sells for 150-155,000 with C-15 power 550hp.

Even at 120 dollars per hour with a tandem axle dump its still a non profit operation running a dump. Tires are not getting any cheaper the fuel definatly isn't getting any cheaper.

Like I said 11R22.5 recapped drives are 450-500 each a set of 425 Supersingle steers are 1200 each.

When you own a dump you need to beable to do most of the repairs like welding the box together to changing tires. Better buy a decent compressor and a 1 inch impact gun because tire changes are common occurance.

You also hope the 18spd is a "Fuller Roadranger" if its a Mack 18spd get used to can't find it grind it.

Truck says it has 44,000lb axles I wonder if they are Mack axles. The old Mack 38s were tough rear ends being a toploader diff.

The 14,000lb front axle isn't quite heavy enough or it isn't for B.C. use. Lift axles are not legal in B.C. so I don't know much about them and what they can carry.

Most tandem dumps here are licensed for 26,100kgs or 57,540lbs. Allowed 37,400lbs on the drives and 20,000lbs on the steer axle. A 15 ton load is legal but most trucks are slightly overweight.

The Mack E7 which that truck your looking at is powered with is only a 12 litre engine so your really only one step above a L-10 Cummins. the truck has about the same power as a MB4000 Mercedes 450hp. Okay but with a heavy load she is sucking a hind .

You will learn alot about Macks and wishing you bought a Kenworth :laugh:

There is a reason why that 99 Mack is only selling for 39,000.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

GR........s.o.s. different day
  7. Gravel Rat

I was thinking about it that truck wasn't spec'ed as a gravel truck it must have been originally speced for a logging truck.

One thing to think about is to carry a 15 ton load that lift axle will have to be down to stay legally loaded on the front axle.
  8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravel Rat, you should come down here to Alabama... the weight laws are killing you up there, I don't see how anyone can make a living like that. I got 26.5 tons of pug mix last night, all in one truck, a tandem with helper axle, what we call a "tri-axle" dump truck (although if you count the steer axle there's really four axles.) He might have been on the weight limit, which is 80,000 pounds gross for a tri-axle.

Plus the winters are slightly milder than up there.

Plus housing is cheap.
  9. Gravel Rat

Its all about brakes you can't get enough stopping power. A tandem axle dump loaded up to 15 ton is just enough brakes to stop it.

What you guys don't have in the Eastern and Southern States is 10% down grades that can roast your brakes in seconds. Decend a steep highway grade too fast are you writing your will. I guess you guys don't know what its like dropping 4 gears to decend a 10% grade without a JAKE.

We don't have triaxle dumps but have tridrive dumps which is 3 drive axles they are good for a 73,000lb gross weight or about 22-25 tons of material.

If you want to haul weight then you need a tandem axle dump with a quad axle transfer box. Like I said you can haul 41 tons of material. A transfer set up can go anywhere because you can leave the transfer trailer box on the side of the road pull the transfer box into the truck box head down a driveway.

Lift axles will not survive the curvy roads in B.C. if you want heavier steer axle capacity then you need to buy a tandem tandem. A tandem steer truck is good for 77,000lb gvw. You have two 20,000lb steer axles with 5000 dollars worth of steer tires pealing off.

The tridrive gravel trucks on a hot road will leave tire marks on the curves in the road that look like a brake stand has been done with a hot rod car. A tridrive dump eats drive tires every 3 months if they are hauling lots in hot weather.

That Mack that Kaiser is looking at wouldn't be legal in B.C. to haul any weight because the front axle gvw is way too light. You would have to run 425/65R22.5 supersingle steer tires to be legal. If that truck is only running 11R22.5 tires for steers thats only good for 12,000lbs. You can get 22.5 rubber that can carry the wieght but it doesn't have the width.

The CH series Mack is essentially the replacement for the RW model that used to be commonly powered with the monster Mack V8 (500hp).

Gravel trucks are paid by the hour in areas like where I'am it doesn't matter if its hauling 5 ton to 15 ton a tandem is paid 120 dollars per hour a tandem. Some of the developement sites have had hundreds of dump truck loads of material hauled.

If I was in the market for a dump it would be one like this Ford

That truck will go into places that most other trucks can't. The Ford L9000s climb out of some nasty spots because the way the trucks are set up.
  10. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

GR you need to change your ID on here to Gravel Tucks !!!!!!!:laugh::usflag: