Thoughts on this dump truck

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by ksss, Jul 14, 2008.

1. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Mack evaluation:

I spoke with the Mack mechanic and the reseller. He had the list of items that needed attention. Nothing major just a list of odds and ends. He said that he would address all of them. Price is as follows. $38.5K with just the truck bed painted and 39.5 if he paints the entire truck grey. I basicly told him that I would take the truck. He has some guy from Seattle who wants to come out and look at it (Scag?). I told him then that I would take the truck (better not sell it out from under me after paying (have not yet paid but you know what I mean) for a truck inspection.

2. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

It should be me! But it's not! :(

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why bother paint the truck it looks like its has decent paint on the truck already. Charging 10 grand to repaint the whole truck isn't worth it.

The outside of the box done properly would be white blasted then etching primer then a good 2 part paint. The cab can be painted with any automotive paint. If the body work is okay a good scuff and spray the cab is done.

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You caught me, I've had $40K burning a hole in my pocket for the last 10 years. I told the guy I'd give him $42K just to keep it from going to Idaho.

5. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds good, how soon could you start hauling?

6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I thought he was buying the Mack for his own hauling on the jobs he is working on and a truck to move his Case excavator with.

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Well its a done deal. Said MACK is sitting in my yard. Just got back form Missoula, MT.

A couple quick notes.

460 hp will flatten out any mountain pass.

That truck turns like a ATV compared to my 2500 IH.

I did not find the ride uncomfortable at all. Its not an 8 bag KW, but hardly uncomfortable, atleast not on the Interstate.

Temp never hit 180 degrees, alt. might be over charging just abit. The temp gauges on the drives doesn't work.

AC blows cold.

It was bone dry and it took like 75 gallons. I have between 3/4 and a half a tank of fuel, assuming that is accurate, not bad for that much power. It was like 325 miles, door to door.

Very tight truck, so far so good.

One last point I didn't get an anal exam from MT. DOT or Idaho DOT. I need to buy a lotto ticket.

8. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

Glad to see that you decided to buy the truck. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You need to find this thread in 6 months or a year and post with your thoughts about the truck once you've had it a while.

9. KTM

KTM LawnSite Senior Member

congrats! I hope to someday upgrade to a truck like that.

10. coopers

coopers LawnSite Bronze Member

YAY! Congrats.